Your Five Most Influential c.d.s (Share Why, Stories, etc.)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
The difficulty of setting an amount and sticking with it?

You ain't kiddin'!! :hm: That was fun though!!

:cheers:

It's like diggin' into your subconscious :ce:

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
These are very important albums to me.. They remind me of the best times in my life..
41G01b7yd7L._SL500_AA240_.jpg My first album I bought..

41AQP2WDAGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg My First Concert..

412GG6sgBRL._SL500_AA240_.jpg What I listened to the first time I got HIGH!!

61lDIx2Zt-L._SL500_AA240_.jpg One of my all time favorite groups..

41UGySBN4OL._SL500_AA240_.jpg The one album I will never wear out!!

PinkFreud

Rock Junkie
Reaction score
deep_purple_machine_head.jpg

Machine Head - Deep Purple
This was the first "classic rock" album I got into, mostly because of Smoke on the Water, which was sort of my intro into the world of 60's and 70's rock. This is where my lust for classic rock started

album-collective-soul.jpg

Collective Soul - Collective Soul
After I listened to this album the first time, I became convinced this group was the best 90's rock band I had encountered. The whole thing, from start to finish, was mind-blowing, and ultimately influenced my interest in 90's rock.

backinblack_300.jpg
Back in Black - AC/DC
For a long time, AC/DC was my favorite band, and it's all because of this album. I was obsessed with their hard driven sound, and to me, this album epitomized hard rock.

61qTE9kINgL._SX300_.jpg
Untitled Album - Led Zeppelin (a.k.a. Led Zeppelin IV)
Of course, like many Zeppelin fans, my first introduction to my favorite band of all time was via their 4th studio album. If it weren't for this album (and the "Immigrant Song") I would never have found the joy that is Led Zeppelin.

dark_side_of_the_moon.jpg

Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
I've always listened to Pink Floyd (thanks to my dad), and this album was what really stood out to me. I have such fond memories of listening to songs like "Money" and "Brain Damage" as a child, and it means much more to me than most other albums. It holds a special significance to me.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
[IMGhttp://cdn.americansongwriter.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/nirvana_nevermind_cover1.jpg[/IMG]
This record was worn out in my house. Long before I got into music (back when I was in the early single digits) this was my brother's favorite album and I was inadvertently baptized in the distorted guitar and scratchy vocals of Kurt Cobain through my second hand listening as tracks like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "In Bloom" blasted through my house when my parents weren't home.

Appetite_for_Destruction.jpg
The dual guitars of Izzy and Slash doubled over multiple times for sheer thickness, the unmistakable vocals of Axl, the instant hooks of songs like "Paradise City" and "Sweet Child O' Mine", and lyrics that dealt with sex, drugs, and everything else that I didn't understand til some years latter. All I knew was that this was unlike anything I'd ever heard before and that it was amazing to me.

Ozzy_Osbourne_Blizzard_of_Ozz-B000063DFT.jpg

The first time I heard "Crazy Train" I was at a bowling alley at 1:30 in the morning. I was half asleep when I hear "ALLL ABOARD!" come screaming across the speakers of the bowling alley with the bass beat coming in. I sprang up in my seat just in time for Randy Rhoads' guitar come roaring in. I ask the closest employee what this was and he told me it was "Crazy Train" by Ozzy Osbourne and to "listen because this part was really cool." which was the guitar solo which blew me away. I ran out and got that album as soon as I could and listened to it non stop. I was (and still am) so amazed by the guitar work of Randy. It was that one song that really got me into music.

RedGreatestHitsQuennalbumcover.png
This was the first album that I ever bought when I was little. I only recognized "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" at the time of buy it, but that's all I need to know. As soon as this album started I was greeted with the words "Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?...." and I was absolutely smitten from there on out. The beautifully arranged songs, the harmonies, the layers of stomps and claps from only the band that was made to sound like an entire stadium, the vocals from Brian, Freddie, and Roger that sounded like an entire choir, the perfectly written pop songs that still had so much rock sensibility to them. It was the most perfect thing I ever heard and I heard it all on every song of the whole album.

TheDarkness-albums-PermissionToLand.jpg
*Sigh* What can I say about The Darkness that I haven't said already?

Quite a bit actually, but I'll try not to write and essay about it. In 2003 there was this band from across the pond. I don't really know how it happened but somehow I came in contact with their "Permission To Land" only one week after it was released. As soon as I put the album in I get smacked in the face by the huge power chords of "Black Shuck". Over the course of the album I heard absolutely kickass guitar work, the most ludicrous lyrics I'd ever heard (I hadn't discovered Frank Zappa yet =P) (Also far more swearing than I'd ever heard on one album before), and of course the soaring falsetto of Justin Hawkins. I fell in love with this album and this band from the very first listen and I'd done so before anyone else. I felt like they were my own little secret band of awesome....

and then like the second coming of a wacked out, glam rock Jesus Christ the world discovered them too. They were not something that could be ignored. "Permission To Land" exploded onto the charts at a time when they were being dominated by pop and rap acts (Britney, 50 Cent, whatever) and rock bands that too themselves far too seriously (Staind, Linkin Park, etc). They were so refreshing. Fun rock music that didn't take itself too seriously and was still a success. They Darkness to me were more than just an awesome rock band. They were more than a ridiculously hilarious group of guys who managed to put my emotions into music. "Permission To Land" was hope. It gave me hope that great rock music still had a way of reaching the masses without years of reputation built up to back them up. My singing style has been based off of Justin's and when I was first learning how to play guitar they were one of the four bands who's music I loved to play the most (along with Nirvana, AC/DC, and Zep).

Last edited:

Neverlife

Reaction score

This release here and band was life changing for me. The music,the lyrics...this album was my first. I got them all that week. Love the new album as well!

61QNX54X5ML._SS500_.jpg

Wow, I never expected to see anyone share my love of this Nightwish album, the first time I listened to it, it changed the way I felt for days, it had such a profound effect on me. Long live Nightwish (even without Tarja)

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Cosmic Harmony said:
I was inadvertently baptized in the distorted guitar and scratchy vocals of Kurt Cobain through my second hand listening as tracks like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "In Bloom" blasted through my house when my parents weren't home.

Was that because they drove your parents screaming from the house?

:huh:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Was that because they drove your parents screaming from the house?

:huh:

Note quite. The music was loud because they weren't home, it wasn't that they weren't home because the music was loud.

3rd on my list is Machine Head by Deep Purple. Again my older brother owned this album when it was released so I got to Borrow it all the time. The first Hard Rock/Heavy Metal album I listened to and remains one of my all time favorites from that genre.

I really love the songs on this album. I love them even more when they were taken to the next level on "Made In Japan". :grinthumb

3) 'Too Much Too Soon' by the NY Dolls: Around '81 I had gone to See Pat Benatar in concert & opening the show was David Johansen.The week of the show a local radio station had played the title track from Johansen's 'Here Comes the Night' album which I thought was cool.The night of the show Benatar was good but Johansen as the opening act blew her away & even though I never heard it before I loved "Stranded in the Jungle" & had to find it the next day.It wasn't on the 3 Johansen albums at the record store & then I thought "wait! he was in the Dolls" so I found Too Much Too Soon" & there was no looking back.I thought on the cover guitarist Johnny Thunders looked cool as hell so I noticed his solo albums at a record store.I bought the double 'In Cold Blood' & I thought it sucked but there was something about it that made me try another album which was "Live at Max's" which I loved.I then became a huge fan of Thunders & now was heavilly into Punk

4) 'Alice Cooper' Show by Alice Cooper: I spotted this album right after I got into Kiss & gave it a try.I'd never heard "I'm 18" before & this version was great with the dueling guitars of Dick Wagner & Steve Hunter.I loved the whole theatrical feel of the album & I'd just stare at that cover & piece together in my mind what his show was like & I was now hooked & had to have everything Coop released. I really got into his Original Band & they now rivaled Kiss as my favorite band.I even did a 41 page term paper on Alice in my senior year & recieved a 93. I was at a friends house drinking in the early80's & started looking at his albums.I spotted Lou Reed's 'R & R Animal' & asked how it was.I'd always read his name but never heard him.Right from the start of "Sweet Jane" I noticed the familiar guitar dueling & looked at the album...Dick Wagner & Steve Hunter.

5) 'Bad Reputation' by Joan Jett & the Blackhearts: I was going to see Triumph who had just released 'Allied Forces' back in '81 & opening was a band called Diesel(they had a small hit called "Summer nights in Sausalito").
The day of the show a radio station announced Joan Jett was just added to the bill & they played a song from her new record called "Too Bad On Your Birthday".I actually knew the tune from Ram Jam's debut album so Jett's version hit home right away.I'll also never forget a photo from her Runaways days in Creem magazine of her & Cherie Currie eating Ice Cream Cones with a caption that read..."These Bitches Suck". I was psyched for her appearance but unfortunately the crowd was not ready for her NYC Punk attitude & booed her off the stage.I thought she was amazing & she covered my favorite Stones tune "Star Star". I went out & bought 'Bad Reputation' & I've became a total Jetthead since. I have seen her 12 times. Joan influenced me by paying attention to female rockers out there including Lita Ford,L7, the Donnas,Doro,Lee Aaron,The Charms,Dresden Dolls,Giant Drag,Juliette Lewis, etc...'Bad reputation' had 4 original tunes that were mixed in with 8 cover tunes & they were blended together very well.

"Too Much Too Soon" is such an overlooked album (as are The Dolls in general). It was so influential to bands that followed in the late 70's and early 80's (after that the glam metal bands were just copying each other I think). "Stranded In The Jungle" was the first song I ever heard by The New York Dolls.

Quite the shock rock rapscallion eh? hehe Alice is great. I saw him just last year in concert and even though he's over 60 he STILL has the best live show on the planet.

Glad to see someone else who really respects Joan. She is the perfect blend of AC/DC and The Ramones in a beautiful female package. There really is no woman who embodies rock more than her.

3. Pronounced: Lynyrd Skynyrd

Gimme Three Steps, Tuesday's Gone, Freebird, nuff said. Skynyrd is my favorite band of all time and this album was one of their first. Everyone knows Freebird, but hardcore fans know every song by heart and I'm one of them.

Skynyrd is the closest I like to get to country and their debut is absolutely amazing for more than just "Free Bird". It's one of my favorite albums.

5) Van Halen ~ Van Halen: This album is what got me started on some of the heavier side of rock, and also the prelude to my affection for glam metal. I dont care what anyone says, Eddie Van Halen had the hair and clothes of Glam so did David Lee Roth..............I saw them Live in the spring of 1979 and they absolutly sparkled and shined on the stage!

Van Halen were foreshadowing the glam metal of the 80's, definitely. Their debut is one of the finest debuts a hard rock group has ever put out. It really set a standard that they never quite matched with their later work. They put out great music later on but they really set the bar too high for themselves to ever reach again.

Though I prefer Sabbath with Ozzy...this is a fine example of a band overcoming the loss of it's original singer at it's best!

Why did the public accept this the way they did with open arms? Listen to the songs!!

05a6c060ada0fe53fd15a110.L.jpg

I was actually really biased against this album for the longest time. "Black Sabbath without Ozzy? How can they do that?" I thought. I absolutely did not want to listen to Ronnie taking Ozzy's place as front man, but over time I warmed up to it and now the title track is actually my favorite Sabbath song.

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
This is a cool thread.... don't have the energy (too tired) to do this right now, but giving the thread a proverbial bump as a reminder to myself to add to it later, and for the newer posters to add to it if they like.

TheFeldster

Mr Kite
Reaction score
1. As I've mentioned in another thread, I was introduced to rock music, and the Beatles in particular, at an early age. But I didn't really understand the impact the Beatles had on me until I heard this one:

beatles-revolver.jpg

It opened with what is still, 7 years after first hearing it, my favourite ever song, Taxman, and continued with a heap of other cool tracks. As a nearly 12 yr old at the time, I was old enough to appreciate tracks like Love You To and Tomorrow Never Knows (well, I don't know many other 12 yr olds that get that kind of music, but I thought it was pretty cool by that age :grinthumb) and I wasn't old enough to be turned off by Yellow Submarine as some so-called Beatles fans have claimed to have been.

So Revolver is the most influential as it sent me on the path to becoming a Beatlemaniac which kind of defines who I am now :D

2. As a kid, at about 7 or 8, my dad went through a phase (as he does often) of playing an album at least 3 times a week for about a month. Usually, he chooses something like Frank Sinatra or Ella Fitzgerald (and to this day I cannot sit and listen to either of those artists - I respect what they did, but I'm sick of them!). But this time, he picked an album that I really liked:

162-1.jpg

This album is influential for me because it convinced me to learn a musical instrument. Initially I wanted to learn the organ and replicate Ray Charles, but I quickly converted to the 6-stringed bliss of the guitar. I still play to this day, and I have the sheet music to "Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" - the song I set myself a goal to learn as a kid.

3. Until about my 14th/15th birthday, I was just a casual music fan. I'd enjoyed the Beatles immensely, and I'd picked up the guitar and could play, but it was a hobby more than a passion.

Then, I heard an album that 5 prominent musicians on the music scene came together to create - and I was hooked.

This was the album in question:

3300067305_eb27260732.jpg

This album branched me into the solo careers of the Beatles (for some reason, I'd assumed the Beatles faded into obscurity after Let It Be.. I was young and naive, obviously), the back catalog of Bob Dylan, and, believe it or not, introduced me to Tom Petty/Heartbreakers, ELO and Roy Orbison! And music became a passion. Within a month, I'd learnt the entire album on guitar, and was looking everywhere (unsuccessfully until the re-release) for Vol. 3. The Wilburys had me hooked, and I owe a lot to this little album!

4. Bit more recently (about 15-16 yrs of age) I became interested in more than just rock. I became interested in the blues. A live concert by Eric Clapton started this trend (where he played blues songs like Crossroads and Nobody Knows You When You're Down And Out) but it was one of E.C.'s albums that I bought later on that converted me.

album-from-the-cradle.jpg

Hoochie Coochie Man in particular struck a chord with me, and the rest followed, turning me into a blues fan :D

5. Bit of an outer-field one here, but I'll explain. This album, which I received from "Santa Claus" in 1999, was responsible for convincing me that not everything which hits the charts is worth listening to.

cd-cover.jpg

This horrible, tacky album alienated me a little bit from my classmates (who actually listened to this stuff) but the gap lessened over time as people accepted that I didn't like it. And to this day, it represents what I don't like about pop music today. And is probably responsible for me trying a lot of the older artists.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
That was a fun read this morning with my coffee Feldy. I like three of your picks, Revolver, Blues Brothers(I have my vinyl copy), and The Traveling Wilbury's. Unlike you I never learned to play an instrument, like Sal I was consumed with athletics in my youth, and just didn't have time, now I just like being a fan, and enjoy the magic of what musicians can create.

Ricky Martin...:lmao:...If Sooty reads this he will roast me, but I do like "La Vida Loca".:blush: But that is the Only song of his I have, it's on a compilation CD.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online