Your Five Most Influential c.d.s (Share Why, Stories, etc.)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My 2nd choice, is the Ozark Mountain Daredevils self titled album. This one was simply amazing the moment I heard it, such a great variety of songs and all done superbly. This record opened the door to Country Rock for me, and I still play it regularly.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
3rd on my list is Machine Head by Deep Purple. Again my older brother owned this album when it was released so I got to Borrow it all the time. The first Hard Rock/Heavy Metal album I listened to and remains one of my all time favorites from that genre.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Hmmm - not telling what the Admin/Moderators should be doing with this, though I was just wondering if you remove my earlier post and delete this one, you could put this in the Classic Rock Lounge as a Classic Rock Influenced thread and have my comments in a Other music which has Influenced thread! It's just a thought :D

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are asking CP/M?...you want both of your posts deleted from this thread? Or just your last one and move the Other longer one and rename it?

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Lord Grendel wrote:

I'm not sure what you are asking CP/M?...you want both of your posts deleted from this thread? Or just your last one and move the Other longer one and rename it?

Yeah the majority of the threads in this topic are Classic Rock based - where's the majority of my post is subjected to what influenced me to listen to Folk music the exception in that list being Love - Forever Changes, which is a Rock based album. If you ask me, the only reason I decided to get that album was because it was an album which a lot of people rave about - I had no idea what the music was going to be like -guess it was lucky I enjoyed the album. :D But I guess you could leave it - every thread needs a little bit of chaos! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Okay here's my next one, number 4, Eldorado by the Electric Light Orchestra, and by far the best album Jeff Lynne's band ever recorded. The combination of classical instrumentation and rock music created a perfect blend of the two genres, reminiscent of the Moody Blues and some other legendary Prog/Symphonic bands from the late 60's and 70's. I remember I picked up the only copy of this album in my record store, and when one of my best friends came over he was pissed right off at me for "Stealing It!"...seeing he was a rabid fan of ELO back in the day. That just made it all the more enjoyable for me to listen to.:grinthumb

51vBUS7OiWL._SY300_.jpg

Oblivion

Reaction score
Yeah the majority of the threads in this topic are Classic Rock based - where's the majority of my post is subjected to what influenced me to listen to Folk music the exception in that list being Love - Forever Changes, which is a Rock based album. If you ask me, the only reason I decided to get that album was because it was an album which a lot of people rave about - I had no idea what the music was going to be like -guess it was lucky I enjoyed the album. :D But I guess you could leave it - every thread needs a little bit of chaos! :grinthumb

Mine aren't either :bonk: Chaos rules!

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Oblivion wrote:

Mine aren't either :bonk: Chaos rules!

Cool! :grinthumb

More chaos now - I can talk about some of the selected albums people have mentioned and explain how I came about them:

Beginning with The Doors Greatest Hits (2CD set):

Strangely enough my Brother had that album (he's a little bit older than me), and one day we were on a long trip together and he had naturally taken his Doors Greatest Hits CDs and put his favourite songs onto Tape - just to listen to it in the car. Anyway I enjoyed the music so much, but didn't say anything to my Brother about it and I went out and Brought all the Doors Albums - The Doors, Waiting For The Sun (which was on the tape together), L.A. Woman, Strange Days, Morrison Hotel, The Soft Parade. What was even stranger than me doing that, was me keeping it a big secret from my brother! :bonk:

Pink Floyds - Dark Side of the Moon was another album I brought actually without knowing any of the tracks at the time. I recall now I heard "Money" and "Us and Them" on the radio after I actually brought the album. The only thing which influenced me was a book (which I still have) which raves on about DSOTM.

The other album mention - Cream - Wheels of Fire was merely an album I picked up at a time when I was mad about Cream cause I had this Eric Clapton - Backtrackin' Album which was a collection of tracks Clapton when he was with Cream, Solo, Blind Faith & Derek and the Dominos. Not a bad collection. I also saw Wheels of Fire album being raved about. I must say - Wheels of Fire has some wonderful tracks, but some of their other songs let it down and unfortunately it's not my favourite album IMO. Sadly the Concert CD doesn't offer much apart from Crossroads which is an wonderful track! :wtf: Cause Spoonful and Toad are simply too long! :wa:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You two are "Anarchists"...lol.

Okay here are my last two, I am going to cheat and post two that are equally important to me and were part of my musical education during my early years of collecting albums.

Santana Abraxas, what can you say? Simply the best album Carlos ever recorded, the percussion sounds on this album are stunning, and I had access to this one when it was released.

My last entry, a classical vinyl recording of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition on the old Telarc Digital label. This album is what started my foray into classical music in the early 80's, and I still have my original vinyl copy. A can't miss for anyone who wants to check out a great piece of music, and the production quality was superb. Telarc recently ceased operations which is kind of sad, they were a driving force in the constant improvement of quality in the recording industry and I will miss them.

51psElzR1FL._SY300_.jpg

So to sum up I have posted 5 + 1 of the most important albums in my collection, and I still play them all regularly.

Last edited:

Oblivion

Reaction score
My last entry, a classical vinyl recording of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition on the old Telarc Digital label.

I know this metal band that has a song called "chance" :) with a small ode in it to this record...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillaMackr

Members online