Your 10 Favourite Bob Dylan Songs

DarkWishWall

Reaction score
England - The birth of great music! Specifically B
You're missing the point of Dylan. YES his voice is unattractive, but he isn't using it in the same way most other vocalists do. That's what makes him so interesting - he's a poet who happens to write songs. He's effectively singing poetry, which gives it a whole new dimension. The tone of words when written and when sung are so different and Dylan takes this to an different level. He uses all the conventions most modern poets do, but as they're sung and backed up by music it makes it much more interesting. It opens up for more ambiguous readings to his lyrics as well. Like 'Stuck inside of mobile with the memphis blues again', everybody expects him to hold the note when he sings 'again' in the chorus (Like almost any other vocalist would) but because he cuts it short, it opens up other meanings (Which are supposed to be figured out on a personal basis, as all great art can be - which means I am not going to 'tell you' what they are because I know as much as you). The lyrics are the primary objective in his work, they are not just words to fill songs. Sometimes he seemingly sacrifices the lyrical reading to fit in with the music, like in 'Tangled up in blue' and 'It's alright ma, I'm only bleeding' and a few others, but that great ambiguity can still be found in those too. On top of this of course, like you said, it doesn't hurt that the songs are incredible as well. If you meant that the SONGS are horrible on the ears, that's bollocks!

The thing that differs him from almost all rock artists is that he is primarily a poet acting as a rock star, rather than a rock star pretending to be a poet. Most rock artists just need something to sing.

All MO as well, of course.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Wait I take back what I said.. It's Alright Ma is not only my fave Dylan song, but also my favorite song of all-time! ;)

As for Dylan's voice, I think it's fantastic. One of the best voices of all time. I mean check Tangled Up In Blue, if anyone else sang that song it wouldn't be even half as powerful as it is. Absolutely nobody can sing it as well as Bob.

Sasquatch

Reaction score
IMHO...GREAT songwriter...but I never got the voice. Don`t get me wrong...if it works for you people, good for you. I`m not missing anything...fingernails on a chalk-board. Sorta how I feel about a few other so-called "artists"...if the voice doesn`t move me it doesn`t work for me....re....Stevie Nicks...Steve Perry...not that Dylan is "fluffy" like the others I mentioned....maybe it`s like why I don`t care for country...it`s the "two fingers in the nostrils nasal thing". Just doesn`t float my boat.

Jack

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
well, it floats mine.
but, I must admit that I have a little trouble with what the Reverend calls "Bullfrog Bob" on some of his more recent stuff. When I saw him Live last year nearly everyone within earshot complained of his voice.

But..
on the songs I like, I think his voice is expressive.
(but, remember, I'm a Tom Waits fan so my opinons on good singers only goes so far)

can I do 10?
you know, I think I can!

Forever Young
It's All Over Now Baby Blue
Tangled Up in Blue
Love Minus Zero
Desolation Row
Mississippi
Hard Rain
Simple Twist of Fate
Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
Tonight I'll be Staying Here with you

shoot, I know Dylan's not for everybody but if he IS, then ten is a cinch.
I could do another 10 real easy!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I can completely understand anyone's dissapointment with bullfrog Bob... I saw him live and we couldn't tell what songs he was doing because he certainly didn't make any sense of the words. But still, being a person who preffers a completely effed up voice to a traditional one, I still like Bob's voice the way it is. I always joke, though, that all of Bob's songs are death metal now, because of how he sings.

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score
it was ALL worth EleventyTwo dollars for me when he waddled to the middle of the stage and filled that place with the sound of his Harmonica. His true voice.

kath

astronomy domino's™
Reaction score
i know the top two...

knockin on heaven's door
tangled up in blue

i'll hafta ponder the rest. i'd hate to sound tooo greatest hitsy.

kath
wait... what's that silly dream song where the foot comes out of the telephone line? i luvv the hell outta that song.

K.J.

One Groovy Lady
Reaction score
I can honestly say that I love ALL Bob Dylan's music. I hate picking favorites, though. If I absolutely had to choose... right now I'd say it's Positively 4th Street. That song has special meaning for me. Fact: Bob Dylan was born Robert Allen Zimmerman, May 24, 1941 and was raised in Hibbing, MN!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.