Yes (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I've seen that myself KH...it will be on my list.:D

Oh and I saw a copy of "Close to the Edge" last week in a store I found in Old Strathcona. Next time I'm there I'll take a couple of pictures, a veritable treasure trove of new vinyl.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This band I keep seeing on shelves in shops, given I am keen to explore even more prog rock bands is there any song or album you guys think I would like?

Khor1255

Reaction score
Relayer if you like stuff that simply kicks ass, Yes if you are into a jazz rock experience, Going for the One if you seek perection, The Yes Album - Close to the Edge if you're wondering what everyone else os going on about.

Any album before the big vibrator and you can't go wrong.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Relayer if you like stuff that simply kicks ass, Yes if you are into a jazz rock experience, Going for the One if you seek perection, The Yes Album - Close to the Edge if you're wondering what everyone else os going on about.

Any album before the big vibrator and you can't go wrong.

I do like things with a jazz rock style, but when it comes to prog I am not too picky. :cheers2
I had been meaning to check this band out like a ton of prog stuff I haven't discovered. Appreciate the recommendation.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Close the Edge is Yes's most consistent album because every track is absolutely GREAT. Side one, after about eleven minutes, has the best keyboard solo (from Rick Wakeman) you will ever hear in your life. Fragile, from the same era, has a number of short, but irritating, solo tracks, showing a lack of cohesiveness. On the other hand, it has some of their best band tracks and I think Roundabout is their greatest ever song.

The Yes Album is popular with a lot of fans and journalists tend to favour the album, perhaps because the band had perfected their style, while avoiding the later experimentation (which came with Rick Wakeman). Rick Wakeman plays on Yessongs, the live album, and expands the ideas started on The Yes Album.

Tales from Topographic Oceans is much maligned, but I love the album. I would say, however, it is not a good introduction. Relayer, with Patrick Moraz, is again popular, but not my favourite. Drama is fantastic, but not representative, because Jon Anderson is not present, although the tight musicianship is incredible. Going for the One is patchy, but contains the famous percussive Awaken. Yes Tormato is over-produced and rubbish in my opinion.

90125 is their eighties album with Trevor Rabin. Although a Rick Wakman fan, I love the album from start to finish. The Big Generator is messy as is every successive album to date (Open Your Eyes is dire). The exception is Keys to Ascension which combines live and new tracks. Be warned though, some of the live material sounds fresh while other tracks are sanitised. The new tracks are mostly good.

The first two albums Yes and Time and a Word, along with the compilation Yesterdays, are very good, but are for devotees, as the band were still finding their feet.

In short, my advice is go for Close to the Edge and then Fragile. Perhaps, next, The Yes Album, Drama and Going for the One. If you've become a confirmed Yes addict, then Yessongs, Topographic and 90125.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Fragile would be my pick...but any of their first 5 albums are worth checking out.

I would add Going for the One and Tormato to my list of good Yes albums even though Tormato gets trashed by critics all the time.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online