Yes (Official Thread)

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
I would go along with LG "Any of the first 5". I kicked off with the debut which I bought as a teenager and have never looked back. I think I'm only missing a couple of studio albums in my collection. Must get round to getting hold of them.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
Fragile is good, however 90125 is my favorite of theirs that I have so far. It seems like a lot of their hardcore fans hate it though...

Fever

Reaction score
If I can somehow get some free or really cheap tickets I might go see Yes and Procol Harum in a few weeks.I don't know if I really want to see Yes without Jon Anderson.I saw them once on their Union tour.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Fragile is good, however 90125 is my favorite of theirs that I have so far. It seems like a lot of their hardcore fans hate it though...

That is true, but I am a hardcore fan and I love it. The diehards do not like the combination of rock and dance music, but it works for me. The harmonies are superb (Jon Anderson originally wanted Yes to be a copy of Fifth Dimension). There is an expanded and remastered version of 90125 which has an a capella version of Leave It, which is amazing. The video, 9012Live, is good too, athough Chris Squire's outfit has to be seen to be believed.

Surprisingly, Trevor Horn had made a good Yes album with Drama and Trevor Rabin had done some interesting work with Manfred Mann's Earth Band. They combined well with Chris Squire and returning keyboard player, Tony Kaye. Jon Anderson added his vocals and the demos came to life. Sadly, they could not recapture the chemistry, mostly I think because they did not get on with Trevor Horn. Big Generator contained some good work, combined with some of the worst Yes material since Yes Tormato, if not some of the worst. Rabin was charged with making a Yes album with long tracks, Talk, but it just doesn't work, imho. It seems strange to me that Horn and Geoffrey Downes were recalled to make the weak Fly From Here.

Plans for Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman to unite with Trevor Rabin, have so far come to nothing. Rabin was due to join Wakeman in a supergroup with John Wetton and Bill Bruford, before he (Rabin) joined Yes.

I am also a hardcore ELP fan and I like Love Beach, but no-one else does. Another hated band is Starship and I like them too. I like hated bands and albums.

Khor1255

Reaction score
I don't hate 90215 at all. Comparing it to anything that came before it is silly but on it's own merits it really is one of THE great albums of the 80s. I really love the playoff between Anderson and Rabin and while it is a little tinny and carosel sounding it has moments of sheer pop excellence.

My favorite thing on the album is the shortest track but I really love one of the pop songs as well. Changes is quite good as is Our Song, and various parts of other songs. I would have preferred a true to form Yes album but what they did in the mid 80s is very entertaining.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like South Side of the Sky. I ended up getting Fragile and love this CD.

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I don't hate 90215 at all. Comparing it to anything that came before it is silly but on it's own merits it really is one of THE great albums of the 80s. I really love the playoff between Anderson and Rabin and while it is a little tinny and carosel sounding it has moments of sheer pop excellence.

My favorite thing on the album is the shortest track but I really love one of the pop songs as well. Changes is quite good as is Our Song, and various parts of other songs. I would have preferred a true to form Yes album but what they did in the mid 80s is very entertaining.

The entire album is a lot of fun. I guess I spoiled the Yes "experience" for myself by getting 90125 first, because I haven't really gotten into the other two of theirs I have as much as that one. It's a lot of fun. "It Can Happen" is my personal favorite, followed by "Changes" and I like "Cinema". I love the entire thing. I must have listened to it two or three times a day the first week I had it.

Riff, you can try 90125 but I'm not sure how much you would get into it. It's different than your normal taste but then again you like to experience new things. I think I like it so much because of the pop influences. A majority of what I like is pop influenced. :grinthumb

Khor1255

Reaction score
I like South Side of the Sky. I ended up getting Fragile and love this CD.
South Side of the Sky is about the most jammin song on that album. I would maybe say Heart of the Sunrise but it is far more structured = easy.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That entire album was a good start. Loved every second of it. :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shandi