Would you ignore a band's music due to political reasons?

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
I agree with you all. But sometimes I imagine it is not so easy to continue listening to a band especially when you strongly disagree with messages that they may be sending thru lyrics or live versions.

The best example I can think of is Pearl Jam when they performed live in Camden NJ in 2003 or so. Eddie added on these lines to the end of Wishlist...

I wish I was a Democrat
One that had a chance to win
I wish I was a Republican
But would I be a human being?

:gig

gguerra

Reaction score
I'm not into politics so no, it would not matter to me. The music rules.

luderei

Reaction score
The political opinion doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the music, as long as it stays out of it. I do remember being dissappointed finding out that Alice Cooper is a republican, even though there is nothing wrong with that. One likes to think that their heroes are on the same page.

But I hate it when politics enter the music itself, even if it's politics I agree with - no matter how cool the song is, bring politics into it and it's ruined. I feel the same about Christmas though.

Fever

Reaction score
Seriously, if I like the music I don't really give a flying fig what the politics behind it is. Only exception is if it gets overly offensive or is trying to incite hatred.

I agree.If I stopped listening due to their political beliefs I probably wouldn't listening to a lot of music:heheh:

Fever

Reaction score
Adding in movies, yes I've been known to watch many movies starring people who's beliefs are not the same as my own. I draw the line when they start incorporating all of those beliefs and nagging messages into the movies themselves.

And I could be wrong, but as far as Mellencamp goes, he may have played at a Democratic convention at some point, but I seriously doubt he's ever been at a Republican one.

As for Arnold, he's long been a republican. Eastwood used to be, but he's pretty fed up with the state of politics in the US and has been fairly vocal about how the Republicans no longer stand up for or believe in the things that they used to. I'd say Clint is far closer to a libertarian than he's ever been.

Yeah considering how liberal Hollywood is I probably wouldn't be watching a lot of tv or movies if I watched based on political beliefs:grinthumb

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
Nope! It's all about the music. I don't care of their political views.

Khor1255

Reaction score
Nope. Absolutely not. Like I've said before, I'd listen to Charlie Manson's crap if it was any good. If I only listened to artists who I agreed with I'd be narrowing my perspectives and - for what?

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Nope, I listen to Burzum.

For me music is not about the artist. Songs and albums mean to me whatever comes into my mind when I hear them, I'm not concerned with what the artist does or why they wrote a song. For example, to me Miley Cyrus's song Wrecking Ball is about Erik and Charles in X-Men.

Most artists decline to explain what their music is about and those who try, usually end up flubbing it up and not being anywhere near as eloquent in speech as they are in music. So I decided long ago to take the art and leave the artist. Even people who I despise, if I like the music I'll still buy it.

And even when the music itself may have messages I disagree with -- a good song is still a good song. For example I'm more than an atheist, I'm downright anti-religion. But there are plenty of awesome songs about God, doesn't stop me from appreciating them.

Aero

Reaction score
No, I wouldn't judge their music from their political beliefs outside of the music.

The only problem being if an idea they believed in was a huge part of a song they wrote. However, Left wing/Right wing views or even social views rarely enter into the picture anyways in a song. It's usually more about the small guy being beaten down or standing up to the man which resonates with almost anyone who wasn't born with a silver spoon in their mouth.

I'm trying to think of the last time a political viewpoint that offended me was the main focus of a song...and none come to mind.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
No it wouldn't stop me from listening to a band. Although if their live show is full of rants and political opinions or they tell the audience they should all be caring weapons I might skip the live show.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online