Would you ignore a band's music due to political reasons?

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
We were talking about Ted Nugent in the other thread and it got me thinking... There are some bands that are very political and pretty blatantly support one side or another. Examples: R.E.M. and Pearl Jam have made it no secret that they support Democrats, judging by their songs, lyrics and live concerts. John Mellencamp, from what I can tell obviously supports the Republicans. (I think I was wrong here on that last point. Sorry about that!)

And then there are bands that never make it obvious how they lean politically. One example I can think of is U2. Bono, in all his political involvements and appearances in the media has never made it clear who he supports. He has been seen with Clinton, Bush, Obama... and many others.

My question is... would you (consciously or subconsciously) ignore a band's music because you do not agree with their political beliefs? Or do music and politics simply do not mix?

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
John Mellencamp, from what I can tell obviously supports the Republicans.
Obviously? Really? Where and how? His songs OOOOZE with contempt towards "the man" (being particularly critical of both Reagan and Bush Jr over the years)

Mellencamp has LONG been a major league democrat.

Lynch

Reaction score
It would depend on multiple things:

1) If I agree with the band/artist.
2) If I like their music/songwriting.
3) If it doesn't come across as "bitchy" or "nagging".

I think a band can make a point without looking like a bunch of upity twits, but many don't. They seem to think "hey, I have this soapbox, I'm going to use it and i"m going to hammer my point home". Some are more sly, but many are just loudmouth twats. Personally, I'd rather not listen to a bunch of BS politics in my music. I surely don't want these same self absorbed dingbats telling me how to vote, where to spend my money, what social and worldly programs I should be supporting, etc etc. STFU and entertain me. I know some people find my view on that to be narrowminded, but that's the way I am.

So, back to my 3 bullets above, if they can do it tastefully without nagging, I can deal with it, but it's going to have to be something that I like to listen to. I can put up with a stupid message in a song if the music is good.

Simple answer? Nope, not me. :heheh:

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
Obviously? Really? Where and how? His songs OOOOZE with hatred towards "the man" (being particularly critical of both Reagan and Bush Jr over the years.

Mellencamp has LONG been a major league democrat.

Maybe I am mistaken. Didn't he play at the Republican convention once? I am not sure now. I do know that Arnold Schwarzenegger and Clint Eastwood support Republicans... I mean if we were talking about celebs in general.

But anyway my question stands. Would you listen to their music (or watch their movies) if you disagreed with their political beliefs?

Edit: Ok cool, thanks for the answer.

Lynch

Reaction score
Adding in movies, yes I've been known to watch many movies starring people who's beliefs are not the same as my own. I draw the line when they start incorporating all of those beliefs and nagging messages into the movies themselves.

And I could be wrong, but as far as Mellencamp goes, he may have played at a Democratic convention at some point, but I seriously doubt he's ever been at a Republican one.

As for Arnold, he's long been a republican. Eastwood used to be, but he's pretty fed up with the state of politics in the US and has been fairly vocal about how the Republicans no longer stand up for or believe in the things that they used to. I'd say Clint is far closer to a libertarian than he's ever been.

Vader

Veteran Of A Thousand Psychic Wars
Reaction score
NEVER....If I like a bands sound then musically I am drawn in. Everyone has the right to voice views and opinions here in the USA and I support anyones and everyones right to do so...whether I agree w/ them or not. Too many "liberals" seem to think they are the high and mighty and should be the only ones w/ the right to speak freely these days....I support the constitution for EVERYONE...even red necks...go figure.

That said I do like lyrics that I feel a spiritual kinship w/ .....however ...if I don't " bond" lyrically w/ a song/ band I can still easily enjoy the music sonically and put the wordsdown as just a different view point then my own. I don't listen to music for political view points...I listen to music because I enjoy the Sound waves , sonic vibrations if you will.

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
Seriously, if I like the music I don't really give a flying fig what the politics behind it is. Only exception is if it gets overly offensive or is trying to incite hatred.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarrelDeSa

Staff online

Members online