Would you ignore a band's music due to political reasons?

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
No. Don't usually pay much attention to political messages unless they are in your face or really contrary. Don't like to be preached to while listening to music. Generally the music wins.
Sometimes an overbearing personality may hinder my enjoyment of a band or artist - eg. Anthony Kiedus of Red Hot Chilli Peppers and the aforementioned Ted Nugent are both very opinionated about everything. Their music's good, but ... you know :confused:

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
Generally I don't let it affect my judgement. eg quite a number of the southern rockers have quite right wing politics, but they are not in-your-face with their views. When you're looking at the way over-the-top nonsense that Nugent comes out with it begins to influence me. Although I know he has done some pretty good stuff down the years I wouldn't entertain buying any of his albums.

Those who have tried to put over political messages through their music over the decades have mostly been not very good at it. Take someone like Roger Waters. He ended up getting so tangled in his own thoughts no-one could be arsed to buy the music (so he returned to The Wall :gig).
For me the most meaningful and effective political statement ever made in the rock/pop environment was a very simple one, written by Jerry Dammers for The Specials -

(Free) Nelson Mandela - The Specials

The Wanderer

Kids With Guns
Reaction score
No I absolutely would not. Imho I enjoy music for the talent, passion, and a feeling of "freedom of the mind". Not the political noise behind it if there is any.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online