Will Any 80's Band Make It Out Alive??

eccentric man

Reaction score
Big Generator said:
The Smiths split up in 1988...so they didn't make it out of that decade alive. Was the 'legacy' even that influential after the 80s?

aside from the fact that just about every whiney indie rock band since then has cited them as massive influences.... not much....

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Big Generator said:
It's recently been announced that Rick Rubin is producing the new Metallica album...so expect a big return to form for them.

That was good news to hear. Hopefully he can get them in line and focused. They were all over the place with St. Anger, which is why it turned out the way it did.

Get the families out of the recording studio, let Hammett do his guitar solos, and no more Hetfield excuses about "my therapist told me I have to leave at 5", then maybe we'll have something good on our hands.

runtfan

Reaction score
eccentric man said:
how is not staying true to their original sound (or vision) different than calling them sellouts?

Yeah, maybe their original sound wasn't "true". Maybe they "evolved" into the truth and became what they were supposed to, and wanted to be.

Big Generator

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
That was good news to hear. Hopefully he can get them in line and focused. They were all over the place with St. Anger, which is why it turned out the way it did.

Get the families out of the recording studio, let Hammett do his guitar solos, and no more Hetfield excuses about "my therapist told me I have to leave at 5", then maybe we'll have something good on our hands.

Exactly!

Big Generator

Reaction score
eccentric man said:
aside from the fact that just about every whiney indie rock band since then has cited them as massive influences.... not much....

I know there's a strong whiney contingent who do cite the Smiths as a big influence...but I can't remember who they are...anyone got any ideas?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
:bmp1:

Good Topic! Carry on :D

Metallica has seemed to survive the 80's and so did John Mellencamp along with Guns n' Roses.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Pat Benatar!

orig-9089101.jpg

:****:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Slayer as well, one of the remaining Thrash Icons from the 80's. I only have Reign In Blood, I find a little Thrash goes a long way for me.

Slayer_Reign_In_Blood-Front-wwwFree.jpg

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Echo & the Bunnymen are like the Energizer Bunny. They in fact filled a concert hall in Toronto last night!

51f3eQDOhzL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

:****:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online