Will Any 80's Band Make It Out Alive??

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I've often heard from rock fans that the 80's is a weak decade when it comes to influence. Not much from an innovative/musical standpoint established the 80's as a decade that might endure. So what musicians and bands do you think have a chance of making it out of this decade of so-called mediocrity? Whose influence or mark will last into the future?

Who will make it out alive?

eccentric man

Reaction score
do you mean bands that started in the 80s or where there main mark was in the 80s?

i think U2 would fit into both. they don't really represent the whole cheesy 80s sound but they were definitely around for the decade and more.

same with the red hot chili peppers although they didn't really get hugely influential (or popular) until the 90s.

jane's addiction and the pixies might make it out alive although jane's' relapses kind of tarnish their original legacy.

and just like all the other bands i mentionned metallica didn't sound 80s but their best material came out in that decade.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
When I say 80's bands it includes bands that transcend the sometimes negative stereotype of the '80's sound', hence THOSE would be the bands that 'made it out alive' right? U2 was most definitely an 80's band with Joshua Tree and previous albums, not to mention they hit prominence in that decade.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
If Journey can count as an 80s band then I think they got out alive. They may not garner much respect from rock fans but there are still tons of people who listen to Journey.

There's also REM. Their sound is a little too highly-produced for me but their songs were brilliant.

Big Generator

Reaction score
AboutAGirl said:
If Journey can count as an 80s band then I think they got out alive. They may not garner much respect from rock fans but there are still tons of people who listen to Journey.

There's also REM. Their sound is a little too highly-produced for me but their songs were brilliant.

I couldn't agree more. Journey are a timeless band. They are one of the few "evergreen" acts from the 80s...and 50 million of the 75 million albums they solds were bought after 1990.

Metallica, Madonna, REM and U2...they all survived...and how.

But others haven't...like Simple Minds, Cyndi Lauper, Survivor, John Waite, etc, etc.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I have to say that for Metal music; Judas Priest made their mark on the 80's big-time, same thing for Ozzy.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
As well, Van Halen had such a huge rocking time from '80 till '85 that they can be counted as one of the 80's most influencal bands.

Big Generator

Reaction score
Drummer Chris said:
I have to say that for Metal music; Judas Priest made their mark on the 80's big-time, same thing for Ozzy.

I'm not sure that Judas Priest really survived into the 90s and beyond...in terms of being on big ongoing band or selling back catalogue.

Ozzy has though. Except I suppose Judas Priest and Ozzy first appeared in the 1970s.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Actually, Judas Priest has a huge following, they sell-out concerts all the time and their catelogue is still a very big seller...
I'm not a big part of the "metal underground" but am aware that it exists quite strongly.
I'm also aware that Priest and Sabbath started out before the 80's but they had their biggest record sales and popularity in the 80's.
Both acts are still very popular, Ozzfest is still huge-a lot of heavier younger acts go on it still.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online