Will Any 80's Band Make It Out Alive??

Big Generator

Reaction score
That's interesting...because Judas Priest have long faded from view in the UK. Good to hear it's different in the US.

Am not sure that Sabbath enjoyed their peak in the 80s. Yes, the Dio line-up did well between 1980-1982. But the Gillan-fronted Born Again album in '83 was a commercial flop...and I doubt the subsequent 80s albums (which featured Iommi and a host of session guys and guest stars) sold as well as the classic albums of the 1970s.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Sabbath did NOT reach their peak in the 80's...I was talking about Ozzy's solo band.

Big Generator

Reaction score
No need to apologize, DG. Yes...it's true...Ozzy definitely peaked in the 80s....and was hugely influential too.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
R.E.M., U2, RHCP come to mind immediately for me. Their influence is evident in much of the music of today. In the case of U2 they're not only influential on other band they are still at the top of their game with record breaking tours and one of the best albums of their career.

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score
Big Generator said:
But the Gillan-fronted Born Again album in '83 was a commercial flop...

Born Again charted at #39 in America and #4 in the U.K. I wouldn't call it a flop. That was my first concert incidently.

But to answer the question I can only think of Sammy Hagar. Standing Hampton, Three Lock Box and VOA were big in the 80's. He was at his pinnacle with VH and had a pretty good solo career in his post VH days (I love Marching to Mars). And reuniting with VH kept his popularity up.

Last edited:

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score
A lot of people mentioned the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I don't even think you can say they are the same band. They are NO where near what they use to be, I think they are pretty big sellouts. I usually don't care when people sell out as long as I still like their music, but since Blood Sugar Sex Magik I think I have only liked 2 of their songs. One Hot Minute seemed to be like they were trying to go back to their funk roots, but no one really liked it. I can honestly say I have listened to all of it, but Aeroplane is an awesome song.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
I really enjoyed a lot of the 80s music, but most of it sure sounds dated now, doesn't it? U2 is of course pretty much the only 80s band that has joined the ranks of the "great ones" (such as Beatles, Stones, Zep, Pink Floyd, etc.). Well, maybe R.E.M. got fairly close to that sort of status. I certainly respect the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but they strike me as sort of a "one trick pony" that hasn't been able to take themselves forward. Nowadays they seem to be kind-of a parody of themselves, at least to these ears.

Phish, although they are viewed primarily as a "90s" band, did do their first recordings in the late 80s. But they were more the "shape of things to come" as was King's X, who also did their earliest recordings in that decade. And anyway, those are both "cult following" bands at best. They paved the way for other 90s groups that made bigger splashes later on by emulating them.

Last edited:

eccentric man

Reaction score
RoxorFuxor said:
A lot of people mentioned the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I don't even think you can say they are the same band. They are NO where near what they use to be, I think they are pretty big sellouts. I usually don't care when people sell out as long as I still like their music, but since Blood Sugar Sex Magik I think I have only liked 2 of their songs. One Hot Minute seemed to be like they were trying to go back to their funk roots, but no one really liked it. I can honestly say I have listened to all of it, but Aeroplane is an awesome song.

bollocks. the chili peppers are one of the few bands that transitionned from underground to mainstream WITHOUT selling out. it sounds to me like you're pissed that they didn't just keep rehashing BSSM. i can't stand their new style but i wasn't really surprised to see them moving in that direction.

while it's true that if you listened to 'freaky styley' and 'californication' back to back you'd think they were two totally different bands they have followed a natural progression. especially if you looked into the personal side of the band a bit and especially john frusicante. first there was all the drug use early in the bands career and then the heroin overdose of their original guitarist, hillel slovak in 87.

once frusciante joined the band in 88 it was clear that they were changing directions a bit and experimenting with more styles you can hear it on tracks like 'knock me down', 'sexy mexican maid' and 'taste the pain'. the new blood in the band obviously changed their course a bit and keidis' battle with heroin became a lot more apparent in his lyrics. same applies to blood sugar sex magik, again more styles (even proper ballads) and more battles with his daemon.

'one hot minute' WAS a dark album. then again it was a dark time for everyone involved. dave navarro on guitar certainly played a huge part in the change in sound on that album. flea was going through an incredibly painful divorce, and keidis had at least one if not two serious motorcycle accidents. as for claiming they were trying to go back to their funk roots that just boggles me. navarro isn't a funk guitarist, he's said so himself... he can play it but he's not really it. that would and did change the feel and flow of the album.

frusciante felt constrained with the chili peppers early on which is one of the reasons he bailed in late 91 / early 92 on top of his growing problem with heroin. but even from his earliest solo stuff you can still hear a singer songwriter trying to be heard through all the smack. to my ears 'your pussy's glued to a building on fire' borrows the vocal melody from elton john's 'tiny dancer' almost to a T.

so it's not really that hard to conceive that upon frusicante's return to the chili peppers that the band would change focus yet again especially where all the members were finally clean in 98. frusciante has also gone on to say in interviews that he feels a lot more confident in his playing now and is more comfortable in bringing new ideas to the mix with the band. something he wasn't so apt to do when he first joined them back when he was 19.

so yeah. that's why i can't call the chili peppers sellouts even if i don't like the direction they've moved towards. **** they're all getting close to 40 now or past it (aside from frusciante). to keep pumping out variations of BSSM would have been to sell out for cash. they've progressed and been successful at it. the direction they were moving in has been clear since the late 80s.

now metallica on the other hand did sell out after justice.... they went from being thrash metal pioneers to a mainstream hard rock band after the death of a founding member (and a very obvious strong creative force)

RoxorFuxor

Awesome Monger
Reaction score
I did not know about their history very much, that pretty much explained their change. I will rephrase what I said, they didn't stay true to their original sound.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online