Founding NAZARETH Guitarist MANNY CHARLTON Dead At 80

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Manny Charlton, a founding member of the Scottish hard rock band NAZARETH, has died at the age of 80. The guitarist's death was confirmed by his grandson Jamie Charlton, who shared a photo of him with Manny on social media and captioned it, "RIP Grandad".

Charlton is famous for the guitar riffs that catapulted NAZARETH to stardom during the 1970s. He played on, produced and wrote most of their greatest hits, including "Broken Down Angel", "Bad Bad Boy", "Hair Of The Dog" and countless others, not to mention producing the prototype rock ballad "Love Hurts", which was a Top 10 hit around the world in 1975 and stayed an unprecedented 60 weeks in the Norwegian chart.

Charlton released several high-quality albums since leaving NAZARETH in 1990, including "Hellacious" from 2014, which features an all-star lineup of classic rock legends, including Tim Bogert (VANILLA FUDGE, CACTUS),drummer Walfredo Reyes Jr. (SANTANA, TRAFFIC, Steve Winwood, Lindsey Buckingham),Vivian Campbell (DEF LEPPARD),Robert Sarzo, Steven Adler (GUNS N' ROSES) and a talented New York-based singer, Robyn DeLarenzo.

In a 2012 interview, Charlton stated about "Hair Of The Dog": "What that album did was set the band up for American success forever. Looking back, I'm still trying to understand why it was so successful. I've come to the conclusion that it's all about the attitude of the songs, performances and the rawness of the production. This was the first album that I produced for the band. Beginner's luck, you might say."

In 1986, Manny was brought in to produce GUNS N' ROSES' debut album, "Appetite For Destruction". Charlton ended up helming GN'R's 1986 Sound City demos that eventually received an official release on the 2018 "Appetite For Destruction" box set. As Manny told Legendary Rock Interviews a decade ago: "Axl's [Rose] favorite singer is [NAZARETH frontman] Dan McCafferty. He said to his label, 'Get me the guy who produced 'Hair Of The Dog' by NAZARETH.' What Axl wants, Axl gets.

"We left it saying, 'If we could get our respective schedules together, then great,'" he continued. "I was in the middle of recording 'Cinema' with NAZARETH and it didn't happen."

E-Z

Reaction score
Oh no!!. I am sad to hear about Manny's passing. Possibly unfairly overlooked to some extent in his own time back in the 1970s (and early 1980s) probably because heavy rock during that decade the 1970s was dominated by many great electric guitar players but I liked all Manny's work on the Nazareth albums from the 1970s and into the first half of the 1980s.

RIP Manny...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jester143

Members online