Why the 70's were the best decade of rock music

Death on Credit

Reaction score
Why the 70's was one of, if not THE, best decades for rock music...

- The 70's started out with the Stones at the top of their game, with Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main St
- In the mid 70's, Bobby Dylan rose to prominence again, giving his best tour and some of the best albums of his career.
- "Glam Rock" (not big on the name of the genre) brought some fun back into rock, after the political uproar of the 1960's. Bowie, Bolan, the NY Dolls, Roxy Music, and Iggy Pop took rock back to its 50's roots while maintaining a degree of experimentation and innovation.
- The Punk Rock revolution began, taking the best of 60's rebellion and 70's glam rock to form a bare-bones chaotic form of music that was angry, fun, and had a purpose.

Why it maybe wasn't so great...

- The Rolling Stones let their artistic and commercial success in the early 70's go to their heads by the late 70's.
- Bob Dylan started making Christian Rock.
- The Bee Gees and disco began, with a pretty clear inspiration from the more flashy and pompous glam rockers (*cough*Bowie*cough*).
- Punk rock proved unable to sustain itself for more than a few years.
- I'm really not too big on Southern Rock, Prog Rock, or Metal.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
There is still Q & Q to be found, Groovy.......infact the music business has never been so glutenated with artists as it is today.

No way. I totally disagree. You can't compare the quality and quantity of 70's rock, to today's modern rock of the last 20 years. Unless , you're one of those people who think Radiohead is the new Pink Floyd, and The Fall Out Boys are the new Clash. :rolleyes:

People may think, oh Groovy, you're just anti-new music - and they're completely wrong. There is nothing more that I want than a new fresh band, with a fresh sound. But, over the last 20 years, new music completely sucks. Sorry, but it's true. I've tried and listen to new music, dug deep, and found nothing great, not even good. (on the grand scale)

Sure, there's still good new music out there today, but again, the quality and quantity doesn't match up to the 70's or 60's. It's not even close. I've been a member of two or three classic rock sites over the last 5 years, and besides a handful of bands, no one has turned me onto new good music. And I've tried. And this forum hasn't helped me discover anything that's new and exciting - it only reinforce my belief, that rock music is on life support and they're about to pull the plug.

Face it, classic rock is dying out fast. And modern rock can't carry the mantle of the glory days of rock. Today's music is either bland or boring, or rehashed stuff, that's been done already....and done horribly.

Creativity is dead.

Just gotta clarify, I don't think the 80's and 90's sucked, they had there moments of greatness here and there, but those decades can't compare to the 60's and 70's. And the last 20 years?....horrible.

*** This is just my view and opinion. I'm not going into any great debate. Been there and done that. I've heard it all. ***

:cheers2

Last edited:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
because I was the peak age for listening to music for the first time.
I don't buy the 70's were the great decade for rock music eventhough the bulk of my favorite albums of all time are from the 70's. Just like any decade in rock plenty of crap and plenty of great stuff. The period from 67-77 is my favorite period but I believe I've had blinders on.

In regards to music since the 70's lots of great stuff new and inventive but its not in the classic rock mode.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
You raise a good point AK, but even after thinking about what you said I still have the 70's as my favorite decade for rock bands and albums in general.

I have had this type of discussion many times, and I take the position that every decade dating back to the Baroque era of classical composition has great music and average music. I do think a couple of genres that are recent are gawd awful and the worst in history, but time will take care of them so I don't worry about them.

I agree with Magic about finding new bands though, especially for me overseas. Europe has keep the spirit of hard rock/metal alive far better than we have here, and I am always finding new bands that keep me interested in music as it evolves, not just living in the past.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
I don't buy the 70's were the great decade for rock music eventhough the bulk of my favorite albums of all time are from the 70's.

So, 70's rock is the bulk of your favorite albums, by your own admission ....but you aren't buying it as the best decade for rock music?

:heheh:

Aktivator, it's ok to admit the 70's were the best decade for rock music, it's not a crime or something to be ashamed of. I know you wanna be ''Mr. Modern Music'' guy, but even you know the 70's (and 60's) ruled. :D

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
So, 70's rock is the bulk of your favorite albums, by your own admission ....but you aren't buying it as the best decade for rock music?

:heheh:

Aktivator, it's ok to admit the 70's were the best decade for rock music, it's not a crime or something to be ashamed of. I know you wanna be ''Mr. Modern Music'' guy, but even you know the 70's (and 60's) ruled. :D
like I said GM its had to tell if we all have blinders on based on that is the period where music influenced us the most. However, considering many kids today love 70's music it doesn't look that it is most likely the best decade. Although the last three years of the 70's have some quality albums but I believe I could find several 3 year periods with better music and they all don't exist in the 60's and 70's. Also this is just rock music when you bring classical and jazz into the equation I might start swaying to the 60's. I know your a classic rock guy and hey so am I I just happen to love lots of music from the 90's on too. I know you like a few. :cheers2

okay I'm tallking in circles. :oyea:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
I have had this type of discussion many times, and I take the position that every decade dating back to the Baroque era of classical composition has great music and average music. I do think a couple of genres that are recent are gawd awful and the worst in history, but time will take care of them so I don't worry about them.
I agree LG. Always glad to see someone who appreciates music of all types!!!!

In regards to overseas new music, yeah I would imagine hard rock/metal would be thriving in Europe and Asia. It's funny one thing I will say about new music it now can come from anywhere in the world. Back in the 70's when it came to rock its was USA, Canada, UK, Germany and Italy very few of anything else.

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
You're right, the Bee Gees stuff prior to Jive Talkin' is very good. Beatlesque some would say.

I think they were just more prevalent in America once they tried disco on for size, but their pre-disco stuff is just fab. They were very much like the other melodic British groups of the time - typical, I guess you could say, but harmonious.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online