Why the 70's were the best decade of rock music

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^One of my best friends growing up loved the early Bee Gees, he never quite convinced me to jump on board back in the early 70's, but I have since softened my stance a little as far as they are concerned.

(I actually like their Disco era stuff better...:blush:...oh well no one is perfect Lady.:lmao:)

Death on Credit

Reaction score
My dad, whose tastes in music are almost identical to mine, used to make me listen to the Bee Gees A LOT on roadtrips. There's a chance that I heard some of their pre-disco stuff in there, but I remember that I hated every second of the stuff that I heard.

At any rate, the phrase "Beatlesque" is certainly not going to be a big selling point for me :D

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
just because a few bands wanted to produce music that was easy to dance to.

I'm sorry, but I still don't see the diff between danceable music of the 60s and 80s....why call it disco music??????!

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Your timeline is off once again. Car Wash and Disco Duck both came out in 1976 which is not the "very late 70s". If you're going to attack a musical genre at least know when the songs were released. I stand by my statement of the disco heyday being 75-79 with some holdovers lasting into the early 80s. But it was largely a dead issue by 1980. Sales of all music slumped badly in 1979, 1980, 1981. Disco was just the hardest hit.

What's in a year or 2???!.....the important thing is that disco music does NOT deserve to be called music in the range of FUNKY and SOUL :):):bow::****:

joe

Reaction score
The 70's for me is divided right down the middle, literally. First, '70-'75, and then '76-'80. The first half of the decade being the best with the last half of the '60's, was the best 10 year period of music IMO. The last of half of '70's decade, well, wasn't a time period when rock music didn't really "progress" and it can be argued that some of the sub-genres from this period were less creative and artistic. With that being said, certain forms of rock music {is disco a sub-genre of rock(?)} from '76-'80 didn't appeal to me but did and still do in some degree, helped developed rock music moving forward, even if I consider it not to be of a high musical merit or an actual dislike of it's structure and form.

The early '70's were more or less a continuation from the late '60's as rock experimented and fused together different elements of other genres of music, for example; jazz, blues, country, classical, amongst others. At this time period different sub-genres took hold and were defined like progressive rock, jazz rock, hard rock, heavy metal, etc. Artists that led the way were Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Yes, Pink Floyd, King Crimson that were a huge influence of others to follow.

Just like in any era or a certain time period there is forms of rock music that can be said, again, one's point of view that was, well, not very good. The early '70's did have some music as I see as not being very appealling to me, like some power pop artists, sunshine pop and "bubblegum" groups such as The Archies and Ohio Express, and of course the Bay City Rollers.

The last half of decade for me, in the most part was disappointing. Most of the "giants" had already been at thier peak and were declining, prog became stagnet and turned in the direction of incorporating a pop/rock element, disco was so pompous and simple, no artistic merit and was more about the production than talent.

Not being a big fan of punk, though I am fan, captured the anger and energy that came with social unrest and the anti-establishment sentiment and to a degree the "mainstream" or pop music of that time. For me, hearing that rebellion, lawlessness, and disrespect for authourity does in some ways pertain to my disposition and my past. Some say punk was a step backwards and even injurious to rock music. I don't see it that way as punk did and does have much more influences on rock music than did disco.

I think for me, the '70's are my mosted listened to decade. To say music from any decade or era is bad, awful, terrible, or any such negative statement IMO is ludicrous. That is such a general statement, and in my conclusion is being close minded, ignorant and arrogant. I better be careful in what I say because I've been guilty of this also.:D

Bryter Later

Reaction score
:grinthumb I appreciate that this thread is concentrating on the rock music of the seventies and its worth,but in many ways I feel that the 70s was the best decade for many reasons. This being IMHO,that it was the last decade of innocence,when children were and could be children,when those of us growing up had defined stages of our younger years. We enjoyed our childhood and wanted to remain young,and not become mini adults with all that being 'an adult ' brings with it. Our minds could develop at a sensible pace,we could learn gradually and fully understand why we had to wait for certain things,and as a result we were not confused and mixed up about life. And as we got older we had our own individuality,our own style. We looked different to our parents,we listened to different music,all of which I feel made the 70s a truly great decade :bow:.

:cheers2 Bryter.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
You can get a mug in gift shops, which has a slogan like 'I would rather be in the seventies'. I really would rather be in the seventies, the era of heavy and progressive rock.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I think radio was great in the 70's. You could turn on a Top 40 station in 1973 and hear Deep Purple, The O'Jays, Joni Mitchell, Paul McCartney, The Spinners, Charlie Rich and Cheech and Chong back to back in an hours time. The variety and quality of the music was great then. As for the last decade, the biggest selling album of the first decade of the new century was "Beatles 1". I think that says it all.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online