Why the 70's were the best decade of rock music

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^That was a fun ramble to read RE...:D

People are always down on disco for "ruining music", but it was just one part of the music scene there were all kinds of great bands cranking out good albums, even well into the 80's.(And of course you are right it was all about the ladies, they love to dance and that was all disco was meant for in the first place, nothing wrong with that either...:heybaby:)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
Disco's heyday was in the 70s

NOT quite right actually......the DARK AGES of music started when the CRAPPY disco tunes "Disco Duck" and "Car Wash" hit the scenes...that was the very late 70s and early 80s...after that it was all downhill for DECENT music till the early 90s:)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score
^^That was a fun ramble to read RE...:D

People are always down on disco for "ruining music", but it was just one part of the music scene there were all kinds of great bands cranking out good albums, even well into the 80's.(And of course you are right it was all about the ladies, they love to dance and that was all disco was meant for in the first place, nothing wrong with that either...:heybaby:)

Don't agree at all LG:):).....do you mean the teens (both ladies and men) DID NOT dance in the 60s or maybe 70s????! There was SHAKE and BOOGIE and BEAT back then...and the KIDS DANCED their heads off...and by the way, what does "DISCO MUSIC" mean anyway???? Disco stands for DISCOTEQUE and they were created in the 60s!!!!!:):)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
^ Tell it like it is, snakes&ladders. I totally agree with your last two posts.

Disco tarnished the 70's.

Ok, back on topic....

Why the 70's were the best decade of ROCK music?

Easy Answer: Q & Q, baby : Quality and Quantity

(Although, as a hardcore classic rocker, I'd have to through in the 60's also. 1964 - 1969 was an AMAZING time for rock and pop music. So, I'm in agreement with those who mentioned the 60's)

snakes&ladders

Reaction score

Ok, back on topic....

(Although, as a hardcore classic rocker, I'd have to through in the 60's also. 1964 - 1969 was an AMAZING time for rock and pop music. So, I'm in agreement with those who mentioned the 60's)

:grinthumb:grinthumb:cheers2:peek
RIGHT ON BRO :):)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Ok, back on topic....

There is still Q & Q to be found, Groovy.......infact the music business has never been so glutenated with artists as it is today. I find myself discovering more music than ever, but my love of music discovery lies in the 70's along with my teen years :)

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score

NOT quite right actually......the DARK AGES of music started when the CRAPPY disco tunes "Disco Duck" and "Car Wash" hit the scenes...that was the very late 70s and early 80s...after that it was all downhill for DECENT music till the early 90s:)

Your timeline is off once again. Car Wash and Disco Duck both came out in 1976 which is not the "very late 70s". If you're going to attack a musical genre at least know when the songs were released. I stand by my statement of the disco heyday being 75-79 with some holdovers lasting into the early 80s. But it was largely a dead issue by 1980. Sales of all music slumped badly in 1979, 1980, 1981. Disco was just the hardest hit.

R. Evans

Left Of Center
Reaction score
There is still Q & Q to be found, Groovy.......infact the music business has never been so glutenated with artists as it is today. I find myself discovering more music than ever, but my love of music discovery lies in the 70's along with my teen years :)

Agree completely.:grinthumb There is tons more music to choose from today than there was in the 70s. I still like the 70s better though.:D

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score
I can only add which decade was the WORST....the WIMPY 80s what with their SPINELESS disco crap :):)

Must be a generational thing. :D

I love the 80s, but I think it's more of a nostalgia thing with me.
I wouldn't say the music was outstanding or groundbreaking during that era, just particularly pleasant to me (and some others, who are either young or don't mind admitting they love a little cheese now and then).

Also, disco (short for discotheque) music was incredible. I love a nasty bass groove (not to mention some electronic features and heavy drums).

:peek

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Don't agree at all LG:):).....do you mean the teens (both ladies and men) DID NOT dance in the 60s or maybe 70s????! There was SHAKE and BOOGIE and BEAT back then...and the KIDS DANCED their heads off...and by the way, what does "DISCO MUSIC" mean anyway???? Disco stands for DISCOTEQUE and they were created in the 60s!!!!!:):)

I can only speak to my own experience, and it was definitely the late 70's to 80's that "Disco" music was popular.

I have enough room in my musical collection for all kinds of different music, including some really good Disco albums, I don't play them often but I don't hate an entire decade of music just because a few bands wanted to produce music that was easy to dance to.

I have the 80's rated higher than the 90's in my overall view, I was not a big Grunge fan even though I respect the younger generation wanting their own brand of music.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online