Why the 70's were the best decade of rock music

Powerage

Let There Be Rock!
Reaction score
Why was it the best decade for rock music?

Because almost all the best rock music ever recorded was recorded in just 10 short years that began 197_. It was the creative peak for almost every band that existed during the decade.

Just wish I could have lived it and seen the bands at their very peak.

Jonty

Reaction score
Because most of the good bands through time released several ost of their albums then.

Tabby

Reaction score
Newbie here, and, while I am late to the party, I can't resist adding my two cents.

For me, the 70s was the greatest era for music for many reasons. I lived the decade, from ages 5-15, and I truly discovered music during this time. I started the decade with an AM transistor radio that I'd sleep with under my pillow (going through countless 9-volt batteries), to ending the 70s with a stereo that boasted a turntable, tuner, and dual tape deck. I began the decade listening only to AM stations (and, how cool was it that late at night, I could receive signals from stations as far away as New York and Chicago?? I grew up in the Cleveland area), then discovered FM about midway through the decade, and that really blew my mind. During AM radio's regime, the stations were truly psychotic in what they played-- you'd hear Elvis, followed by Marvin Gaye, then Jim Stafford, The Who, Dolly Parton, America, and so on. Stations were programmed not by a giant, faceless (and, I would argue, tasteless) corporation, but by actual programmers hired for each station, and all genres of music were played on each station. FM was even more awesome; stations may have compartmentalized a bit into a format, be it pop, rock, hard rock, etc., but the programming was still left to each station and to the listeners, who called in requests that were actually played. Another novelty--whole album sides were played, as well as deep tracks off albums that were not played on Top 40 stations. Not to forget the DJs themselves--and Cleveland radio had a ton of excellent ones.

Not only was radio fantastic during the 70s, but so were all the genres of music that came out: cheesy, sappy ballads, one-hit wonders, rock, hard rock, disco (yes, I really liked a lot of the early disco that was basically rooted in R&B. Once disco became huge, and everyone from Barbra Streisand to Ethel Merman made disco records, the genre became a parody of itself and mercifully died.), glam rock, arena rock, and punk grew and expanded during the decade.

Hands down, my favorite decade of music is the 70s--even today, I listen to that music more than any other. I loathe today's music, and feel sorry for kids today who grow up listening to all the AutoTuned garbage and don't know any differently. I am so grateful to have grown up during such an awesome time of music.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Because that's the decade I discovered music.

Like your first girlfriend. Even though you love others throughout your life, you only have one first love.
And you never stop loving the first one, and there's always a place, just for her.

That's why.

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
I'd say the 60's was equally important in the grand scheme of things when you consider who the 60's gave birth to musically and influentially (Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Who, the Doors, Cream, Simon and Garfunkel, Beach Boys, Neil Young, Van Morrison)...but like a lot of that generation of rock fans on here who were born in the 60's, I only became aware of rock music in the 70's, and it did seem at the time as if that music from that period could never be surpassed, which is how it has turned out. Music changes and evolves, and so it should, so it's no good us complaining about 'modern' music and trying to tell kids these days that Grateful Dead and Wishbone Ash was real music, and Lady Gaga and hip hop and One Direction is crap, it's a generational thing, I'd be seriously worried about the state of the human race if my kids in 2012 were listening to and liking the same stuff I was into in 1978. So yes, the 70's was the best decade from where I am sitting, but I'm now something of a dinosaur culturally, so it's a pretty meaningless preference I am expressing!!

Fump

Reaction score
Because the music was "top" of course. But the artists all had a "face" and the public liked "faces" very much. In the 80's this was over.:wank:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.