Who's the Better Guitarist.......

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Boy ain't this a blast from the past. O_O

I remember watching that SRV DVD. I was but a tot then.... o.o

I'm not sure if he wants us to pick one from each pair or to decide which pair is the best. #1 and #4 are the only ones where I like both of the guitarists listed. I prefer rhythm work to lead work so I'll go with #4. But Van Halen is quite a guitarist. Or was when he wanted to be....

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Out of.......

1: Eddie Van Halen and Angus Young

2: Joe Satriani and Steve Vai

3: Kirk Hammet and Slash

4: Malcom Young and Tom Morello

5: Carlos Santana and John Frusciante

Just out of interest, that's all. I realise this kind of thread's probably been done before

But for the sake of arguement since the thread is alive again... I'll answer each one individually (as I assume the OP intended)

1) Eddie Van Halen - this isn't even close. I love ANgus for what he does, but his overall guitar skills pale in comparison to Eddie's.

2) Steve Vai is probably a more technically diverse guitarist, but this is really a question similar to asking if you like red apples or green apples. It's really a preferred taste as both of these guys are probably among the top 5 greatest guitarists to ever walk the face of the earth, in regards to the stuff they've recorded and their overall technical talents. I probably prefer to listen to more of Satch though (just by a little bit)

3) Kirk Hammett. Slash is no slouch, but Kirk's recorded catalog is more impressive to me than Slash's. Had GnR done another half dozen albums like Appetite and/or the Illusions albums, this might be different. The other projects Slash has worked on have been ok, but don't compare to the greatest that we were first introduced to with him on board.

4) Tom Morello. This is a wonky comparison. Malcolm = one of the best rhythm guitar players ever (in my honest opinion), but what he does is simply keep things rolling, a 'steady Eddie'. No flash, just meat and potatoes. Morello is far from that and much more talented overall (I think). Weird matchup

5) Santana, by far. John hasn't ever played anything that impressed me. I've gotten into some interesting conversations on various messageboards over the years with people who think John is one of the "most accomplished guitarists ever" and yet can't ever seem to point me to more than 1 or 2 songs that even make me consider him anything more than joe average at best.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hannibal37

Members online