Who Best Represented The Spirit of RocknRoll??

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Martin Q. Blank said:
Elvis? Really?

I can see why, but on the other hand, I can't really support the idea that an artist who had so little to do with his own success truly embodies the spirit of rock and roll. He had charisma, I'll give him that...but I truly feel the scope of his talent is quite overrated.

OTOH, I think Little Richard is an outstanding choice. To me, Little Richard, Chuck Berry and Buddy Holly really embody the spirit of '50s rock and roll...not Elvis.

Elvis is a metaphor. Although he didn't invent rock 'n' roll, his 1954-55 Sun sides represent early rock at its most vital. But I chose him for "overall" because of the admittedly perserve notion that his bloated 70s persona represented the transition from innocent rebellion to decadent mediocrity.

Spike

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
Spike said:
Elvis is a metaphor. Although he didn't invent rock 'n' roll, his 1954-55 Sun sides represent early rock at its most vital. But I chose him for "overall" because of the admittedly perserve notion that his bloated 70s persona represented the transition from innocent rebellion to decadent mediocrity.

Spike

Yeah, I'd agree with all of that.

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Elvis is an excellent choice. I really don't see how hard you had to work has anything to do necessarily with embodying rock. Alot of it came so easy to Elvis, and I think because of that he often gets dismissed and underestimated as an artist.

Maybe we're using different criteria for what makes a great artist and what embodies the spirit of rock and roll.

What are your criteria for each?

Last edited:

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I can explain why I think Elvis embodies rocknroll but so much of it is common sense. Why do you think he doesn't? You have to remember that the legacy of those you mentioned in his place suffered much more with each ensuing decade. Elvis is and has always been a phenomenon or Rock. He reached the most people and thus had the most impact.

Your beef is that he wasn't as 'involved' in his own success as you think he should have been. But what does that have to do with the question? Anyhow, why don't you elaborate a bit about his lack of involvement.

As I recall he was one of the pioneers of the 'extended session', staying in the studio longer than was accustomed at the time. It sure looked like he put out a titanic effort performing onstage for years. As well if you look at how much material he put out, no one else spent the time recording and singing those songs. Then you have the movies, the years in Vegas, etc, etc.

algernon

Reaction score
I know it's offbeat, but I nominate Brian Wilson...the greatest SURVIVOR with an epic career that is still relevant.

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
I can explain why I think Elvis embodies rocknroll but so much of it is common sense. Why do you think he doesn't? You have to remember that the legacy of those you mentioned in his place suffered much more with each ensuing decade. Elvis is and has always been a phenomenon or Rock. He reached the most people and thus had the most impact.

Your beef is that he wasn't as 'involved' in his own success as you think he should have been. But what does that have to do with the question? Anyhow, why don't you elaborate a bit about his lack of involvement.

As I recall he was one of the pioneers of the 'extended session', staying in the studio longer than was accustomed at the time. It sure looked like he put out a titanic effort performing onstage for years. As well if you look at how much material he put out, no one else spent the time recording and singing those songs. Then you have the movies, the years in Vegas, etc, etc.

I don't think I have the time, energy or patience to get into a huge debate with you, but can you at least answer the question I asked you before I go?

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Now if i'm going to answer your question it's hardly fair that you preface that with your intention of not following up on any of my points. It's also a little unfair of you to naturally assume this will turn into some unsubstantial debate. All of my points were pretty straightforward and said with courtesy. Anyhow...

I think greatness is certainly an important quality in my mind as to who captures the spirit of rocknroll. It's not necessary, but it is important. Rock involves a certain rebel style, an attitude, a cockiness. It's really a subjective criteria. To be considered an OVERALL representative of rocknroll your music and image has to have persevered and remained strong over the decades. I believe Elvis certainly qualifies as to capturing the image of rock and at the same time embodying this up to today.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online