When Keith Richard Was Actually Good

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
I like Exile a lot as well Spike,
All Down the Line, Shit On My Shoes(lol...aka Sweet Virginia), Happy and Rocks Off are very Kewl, as well as Stop Bringing Me Down.(great slide guitar)...
These rough type of gems are long-gone for the Stones...

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Drummer Chris said:
I like Exile a lot as well Spike,
All Down the Line, Shit On My Shoes(lol...aka Sweet Virginia), Happy and Rocks Off are very Kewl, as well as Stop Bringing Me Down.(great slide guitar)...
These rough type of gems are long-gone for the Stones...

I've also been partial to "Shake Your Hips," a remake of a Slim Harpo tune.

Spike

S

Sir Cuitous

What a great forum. I just had to register and post because I just haven't encountered anyone who can appreciate Sticky Fingers - one of the few albums where EVERY song is good. Some great. Most of my friends like it, but don't have the insights reflected in this thread. I agree with all of the above statements. "Exile" was great but not quite the level of consistency found in SF. It was their peak. But who layed down the guitar parts on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking": Taylor or Richard?

Spike

Rock & Soul Archaelogist
Reaction score
Sir Cuitous said:
What a great forum. I just had to register and post because I just haven't encountered anyone who can appreciate Sticky Fingers - one of the few albums where EVERY song is good. Some great. Most of my friends like it, but don't have the insights reflected in this thread.

Welcome and please stick around!

Spike

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Sir Cuitous said:
What a great forum. I just had to register and post because I just haven't encountered anyone who can appreciate Sticky Fingers - one of the few albums where EVERY song is good. Some great. Most of my friends like it, but don't have the insights reflected in this thread. I agree with all of the above statements. "Exile" was great but not quite the level of consistency found in SF. It was their peak. But who layed down the guitar parts on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking": Taylor or Richard?
I am sure it was Keith playing most of the rythym riffs on "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and that is definitely including that Gritty Intro.
Mick Taylor played the solo on the song.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Also Keef played some mean guitar on "Monkey Man"..most of the chunky rythym yet again.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Keith is a good guitarist. I just thought Mick Taylor was better. He was the best guitarist they had. No offense to Brian Jones or Ronnie Wood either, but Mick Taylor was a cut above I thought.

Just listen to the stunning guitar work on Time Waits For No One. That song rather saved the whole It's Only Rock and Roll album for me. Oh well, to each his own. :)

S

Sir Cuitous

Thanks for the info. I will check out Time Waits for No One. I did respect Keith Richard's musical opinion in the movie "Hail Hail Rock and Roll". What surprised me was a few years back when they played the Coliseum in Los Angeles, Ron Wood did nearly all of the soloing. Keith redeemed himself on Dance Little Sister, but soloed on maybe three songs?? I didn't ever get why he did that.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Music Wench said:
Keith is a good guitarist. I just thought Mick Taylor was better. He was the best guitarist they had. No offense to Brian Jones or Ronnie Wood either, but Mick Taylor was a cut above I thought.

Just listen to the stunning guitar work on Time Waits For No One. That song rather saved the whole It's Only Rock and Roll album for me. Oh well, to each his own. :)
There's no doubt that Mick Taylor is a technically a better guitar player than Keith, Brian Or Ronnie lead and rythym-wise but it is Keith's rough-style rythym riffs that made the Stones huge.
Ronnie is actually a very good lead player...he has done most of the solos live since Mick Taylor left, although over all...I prefer Taylor's solos.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.