What's your favorite pre British invasion musician/band?

Carl Perkins

Reaction score
The best thing about smoking the Devil's Lettuce in the 1970's was that I got to sleep through disco. The only thing that prevents disco from being my absolutely most hated musical genre was the introduction of rap.

I came to appreciate country music much later in life. But now, I enjoy both old "classic" country, and the new-style country that country purists hate. I was born with a country voice, despite having rock and pop tastes. So, when performing myself, whatever I sing often ends up sounding country. Johnny Cash is one of my favorite artists to listen to, but when I sing country cover songs, it's often Kris Kristofferson. Of course, a lot of Cash's songs are Kristofferson covers. Lately, I've really gotten into the White Buffalo. I just put one of his songs on the "What Are You Listening To?" thread. Nowadays, the lines between rock, pop, and country are so blurred that categorizing is difficult to impossible.

As for rockabilly, that's another genre I got into later in life. In heavy rotation on my in-car MP3 player are Imelda May, Devil Doll, and other rockabilly artists.

Speaking of coming to appreciate genres late, the one kind of music my mother played I could never get into was swing. Now, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers, and other neo-swing bands are also in high rotation on my MP3 player.
I like songs such as “how deep is your love”, it’s disco but it’s certainly better than something like “YMCA”. Man I hate that song. Whenever people seem to pick a song that isn’t from the 2000s it’s 70s sonf, I wonder why. I despise rap, especially the mumble rap era of today. It’s infecting every part of the world. Now it’s cool to be some wannabe gangster.

Carl Perkins. That’s all you need. I love his songs. “Honey, don’t” is a classic! Johnny Burnette and his Rock’n’Roll trio is a great one too. Eddies cochran is great too.

I like Swing. I haven’t listened to a lot of it, by Glen Miller has some great songs. It just takes some time to get used to the sound, give it some time and it’ll grow on you.

Just a question. Is that you in the picture or is it someone else?

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Was thinking of the Kingsmen of "Louie,Louie" fame after our confab about some of the great bands in the slightly pre-Beatles era.Maybe the Kingsmen weren't a truly great or significant instrumental combo,but they did deliver at least this one raucously enjoyable classic.Imagine if there were a poll among living American classic rockers asking for the tunes from which they drew their initial guitar,bass and drumming inspirations.Also,I've heard many a great female vocalists of the '80's and '90's cite some of the singers from the girl groups as inspiration,among them,of course,the legend known as Ronnie Spector(Madonna for one).Too bad not too many teens back then recognized the talents of the Wrecking Crew and their efforts towards much of the top music of the day.In actuality,THEY were the top American band in the early sixties....then onto the maturing Beach Boys and the ever-morphing Byrds..................

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
What? Nobody mentioned Dick Dale?

I said, "The instrumental groups like the Ventures, the Shadows, the Tornadoes, and others cranked out some good stuff." Dick Dale and The Del-Tones were among the "others". I figured that if a reader knew that era, they'd know the "others", and if they didn't, then the names of the "others" wouldn't matter, would it?

Old Dude

I do not suffer fools gladly.
Reaction score
Was thinking of the Kingsmen of "Louie,Louie" fame after our confab about some of the great bands in the slightly pre-Beatles era.Maybe the Kingsmen weren't a truly great or significant instrumental combo,but they did deliver at least this one raucously enjoyable classic.

I've read or heard interviews where more than a few modern performers who've achieved a high level of success list a lot of "One Hit Wonders" among their influences. There are some session players, including anonymous vocalists, who had multiple "One Hit Wonder" hits under different band or artist names.

I found this on Wikipedia: British musician Tony Burrows sang the lead vocal on five one-hit wonders: Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" (February 1970); White Plains' "My Baby Loves Lovin'" (March 1970); the Pipkins' "Gimme Dat Ding" (April 1970); "Beach Baby" (July 1974) by the First Class; and "United We Stand" (1970) by the first incarnation of the Brotherhood of Man.[6][7]

Carl Perkins

Reaction score
Was thinking of the Kingsmen of "Louie,Louie" fame after our confab about some of the great bands in the slightly pre-Beatles era.Maybe the Kingsmen weren't a truly great or significant instrumental combo,but they did deliver at least this one raucously enjoyable classic.Imagine if there were a poll among living American classic rockers asking for the tunes from which they drew their initial guitar,bass and drumming inspirations.Also,I've heard many a great female vocalists of the '80's and '90's cite some of the singers from the girl groups as inspiration,among them,of course,the legend known as Ronnie Spector(Madonna for one).Too bad not too many teens back then recognized the talents of the Wrecking Crew and their efforts towards much of the top music of the day.In actuality,THEY were the top American band in the early sixties....then onto the maturing Beach Boys and the ever-morphing Byrds..................
I think that the surf Rock from that era was very good. Stuff like Dick Dale and the Ventures. Let’s not forget the English rock instrumental band the Shadows. I highly recommend them.

Carl Perkins

Reaction score
I like the Kingsmen. Their cover of Twist and Shout is really good, the sound quality is much worse, but I like it. Also a I prefer American type accents more to British ones, probably why I like it so much.

I like The Beach Boys. I haven’t listened to a lot of the Byrds.

Look what I found

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrazyLionEye

Members online