What was/is your favourite FM station?

Flower

retired
Reaction score
What was your favourite FM radio station when you were in high school and or university?

Who were your favourite DJs in this period of your life?

My favourite station was WNEW.

My favourite DJs from that era ~

noontime stalwart Pete Fornatale promoted The Beach Boys when it was not fashionable and later started his eclectic weekend Mixed Bag program;

afternoon legend Scott Muni would use his gravelly voice to introduce largely unknown British artists on his "Things From England" segments;

nighttime host Jonathan Schwartz was a raconteur who would sneak in the Sinatra pop standards that he not-so-secretly liked better than rock;

overnight presence Alison "The Nightbird" Steele would play space rock groups in between readings of her equally spacey poems;

Alison Steele, Scott Muni, Pete Fornatale and Jonatha Schwartz were my favorites. :grinthumb

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
I used to listen to CHLO in St. Thomas and CJBK in London, the two local rock stations, when I was growing up. It was the thirty minute progressive rock show hosted by a fellow calling himself Thomas Aquinas that aired evenings at 9:30(?) PM beginning in 1968 on the generally easy listening station CFPL that had the most profound influence on my musical tastes though. Thomas Aquinas used a broad definition of progressive rock incorporating the music of any band that aspired to anything beyond the three minute hit single e.g. Beatles, Rolling Stones, Cream, Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Animals, Yardbirds, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Who, Vanilla Fudge, Santana, King Crimson, Spirit, Ten Years After, Kinks, Pink Floyd, etc.

:****:

Last edited:

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
It went country!!! :wa: It was replaced on another rock station later which is okay. 100.7 The River

The original station began in the early days of FM and played music fifty-five minutes per hour. These days it feels the opposite with so many commercials.

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score
When I head down to Kentucky I like this station in Cincinnati:

muua6q.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
CBC II,,,it is the only station I bother with anymore, they play an extensive amount of Classical and eclectic music I can't find anywhere else, but I don't tune in as often as I used to.

taha

Reaction score
I think it was KISS/KMAC out of San Antonio in the 80's, what a frgn rock station !! College listening was good :phones:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When I head down to Kentucky I like this station in Cincinnati:

muua6q.jpg

Ha ha ha...the fox is what I listen to!

s21679.gif

Click me to check out 92.5 the Fox!

But the mainstay from my teenage years and the present is 102.7 WEBN-Shut up and Rock! :D Their mascot is a Frog...ribbet ribbet!

Click me to check out 102.7 the Frog.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OEITrinida

Staff online

Members online