What Did You Listen To In The 80's?

Rocking Jodi

Reaction score
Here's some of mine. I could keep going but this is probably enough...

AC/DC
Judas Priest
UFO
Van Halen
Def Leppard
Scorpions
Ted Nugent
Sammy Hagar
Black Sabbath
Dio
The Cars
ZZ Top
Mötley Crüe
Queen
Led Zeppelin
Bad Company
Rush
Aerosmith

Dr. Love

Reaction score
Ohio, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way
AC/DC
Beastie Boys
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
Def Leppard
Guns N' Roses
James Horner
Huey Lewis and The News
KISS
Led Zeppelin
Living Colour
Men At Work
Metallica
Mötley Crüe
N.W.A
Power Station
Prince
Run-DMC
Rush
Styx
John Williams
Yes
ZZ Top
2 Live Crew

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Overall, the 80's was probably my favorite decade for music. Don't have the time (or energy) to go into my likes and loves of music from the 80's right now, but will in the near future.

So, now that we are more than 4.5 yrs after I posted this, I think it might be time to make good on my comment about posting my list "in the near future".

:bonk:

A super quick rundown of the bands I listened to the most back then and still do listen to (mostly in alphabetical order)

KISS
AC/DC
Accept
Aerosmith
Bad Company
Billy Joel
Black Sabbath
Bon Jovi
Cinderella
David Lee Roth
Def Leppard
Dio
Dokken
Great White
Guns n' Roses
Huey Lewis
Iron Maiden
Joe Satriani
Journey
Judas Priest
Keel
Krokus
Lita Ford
Loverboy
Megadeth
Metallica
Motley Crue
Ozzy
Pat Benatar
Phil Collins
Poison
Prince
Queensryche
Quiet Riot
Sammy Hagar
Scorpions
Skid Row
Steve Vai
Stryper
Tesla
Twisted Sister
Van Halen
W.A.S.P.
Whitesnake
Yngwie Malmsteen
ZZ Top

Musikwala

Popmartian
Reaction score
So, now that we are more than 4.5 yrs after I posted this, I think it might be time to make good on my comment about posting my list "in the near future".

:bonk:

:gig

Let's see... what did I listen to in the 80s?? It would be a bit of an embarrassing list, really. I was only about 11 years old at the end of the 80s. Here's a sampler...

ABBA
Bee Gees
Phil Collins
Tina Turner
Michael Jackson
Lionel Richie
Dire Straits
Whitney Houston
Madonna

In short, all the extremely popular stuff of the era. :heheh:

PS: Funnily enough, I didn't discover U2 until like 1992.

erm2020

Reaction score
I was MISSING all the great new stuff that was around, like The Replacements and Husker Du, while desperately trying to convince myself that the latest records by Yes (Big Generator), CSN&Y (American Dream), and Jefferson Airplane (Jefferson Airplane) were on par with their earlier material.

Also -
XTC
REM
U2
PRETENDERS
and EVERYTHING ON MTV!

(Plus Beatles, Stones, Yes, Rush and other AOR behemoths!)

BBlaze87

Reaction score
What did I listen to in the 80s? Whatever my mom played while I was in the womb! LOL

Now, I do vividly remember stealing my mom's cassettes as a very small child in the late 80s/early 90s. Motley Crue, Poison, GNR, AC/DC. Come to think of it, I had a Cinderella cassette that I'd scratched all the song titles and stuff off of, leaving only the band name that I would take to school when I was in 2nd grade so that I could listen to it when we did books on tape (with individual walkmans for each student!). I also got in trouble for singing Guns N Roses "Your Crazy" at the top of my lungs on a swing set (complete with the many F-bombs)...

I was a weird kid...

Beady Eye

Reaction score
Being born in 1979, my musical taste wasn't fully fledged out in any part of the 80s.
For most of the decade I only had the local radio stations as influence (my parents suck at music). When I finally got MTV, I was obviously influenced completely by music videos.
Some of my favourite artists were Michael Jackson (pure awesomeness), ZZ Top ("Legs" and "Shark (why didn't Weird Al see that?) Dressed Man" amongst others), Madonna (still pretty good music) and Paula Abdul (well... I was young and she was hot).

My first level of maturity and first real love for rock music took shape when Appetite was released. That triggered a chain of events leading to ACDC, van Halen etc.
Turned out to be perfect timing, since pop music died with the 80s and rock music turned interesting again.

Oh, most memorable musical moment of the 80's for me: Whitney Houston's "One moment in time". Huge fan of the Olympics at that time and that song carried the event.

--------------------
Since this topic is completely depending on how old you actually were in that decade, the biggest achievement of the 80's is not what you were listening to at the time but what 80's music you're still listening to today.
There's probably no better decade music-wise in the history of mankind. The 60's only really started in the latter half of the decade, the 70's burned out in the first half.
The 80's on the other hand were amazing throughout the entire decade if you see the big picture, not only rock music but also pop, rap, new wave...

Schmetterling

Reaction score
Everything and everyone I listened to in the 70s, but also, and in particular :

T-Mac, Dokken, Scorpions, Joe Satch, Steve Vai, David Lee Roth, Gary Moore, as well as a few others who I can no longer remember......

T-Mac made a huge impact on me round about 1986 with Maximum Security....simply the most awesome I album I had ever heard at the time.

I absolutely detested 80s manufactured commercial pop music though and still do.

Last edited:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online