What Did You Listen To In The 80's?

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I hated the eighties and had to wait until grunge for the resurgence of hard rock in the early nineties. In the eighties, the UK was blighted first by synth pop and then the horrors of acid house. Rock radio, already scarce, died a death, with only commercial bands like Bon Jovi, Iron Maiden and Guns 'n' Roses getting any airplay. In the meantime I listened to:

Saga - sounded like no-one else
Yes - 90125 - I love this album
Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers - the title says it all
Pat Travers - kept the flag flying for a while
Rush - tracks here and there, like The Big Money and Subdivisions
The Tubes - had a big lineup which gave them a full sound
Max Webster and Kim Mitchell - just love them
Jefferson Starship and Starship - Mickey Thomas and Craig Chaquico were fiery in the same band
Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush - more great Canadians!
Manowar - Eric Adams and Ross the Boss are responsible for my poor hearing in old age
BOC - seventies albums Agents of Fortune kept me going!
Wigwam - Rumours on the Rebound - another seventies album which kept me going
Gary Moore - the G-Force album also kept me going
Billy Squier - knew nothing about him, but liked him anyway
Pink Floyd without Roger Waters and they did not miss him at all
UFO - We Belong to the Night was one of the best tracks of the eighties
Warren Zevon - not heavy rock or progressive, but interesting nevertheless

Also listened to The Temptations, Love and Money and a few other non-heavy rock bands.

lennoxrandall

wordpress.org/plugins/sli
Reaction score
Hello,

I love playing the RNB classic song in 80's even up to now the 80's music still good.

Moore_82

Reaction score
Was born in 1982 but that didn't stop me from listening to & growing up on good music then. So not particularly my favorite albums (except a few ) but here's the one's I grew up with.

Blue Öyster Cult - Cultösaurus Erectus.
Colin James - Self Titled.
Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers.
D.O.A. - War on 45.
Gary Moore - Run for Cover.
Heathen - Breaking the Silence.
Infernäl Mäjesty - None Shall Defy.
The Kinks - State of Confusion.
Metal Church - The Dark.
Metallica - Ride the Lightning.
Ray Davies - Return to Waterloo.
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn't Stand the Weather.
The Temptations - The Reunion.
Thin Lizzy - Renegade.
Thin Lizzy - Thunder and Lightning.
Whitesnake - Come an' Get It.

rocknrollpestcontroll

Jammin On The Drums
Reaction score
well, the funny ironic thing is I was born in 1994, I listen to stuff from the 80s NOW....
because thanks to the cds at home, I discovered how AWESOME the 80s were! I wish I could have lived it.. oh well... anyway these are the bands I listen to now, and probably would have in the 80s:
Tom Petty
Rush
April Wine
Def Leppard
Rick Springfeild
Saga
Styx
Prism
Bon Jovi (of couars!)
Billy Joel
Billy Idol
A Flock Of Seagulls

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
I was only young when I started listening to Music around 1984/5 though I think one of the first albums I got on Tape was one of the Culture Club Albums which my Dad Destroyed because he gave my brother one album and me another and my brother wanted to get his meathooks on my album.
But around that time I got a lot of Various Artists albums, so I was being exposed to all kinds of 80s music (including Madonna), but I remember being fond of Dire Straits, The Models (85-86), Mental as Anthing (85), Go West (85), Icehouse (86-87), Tears for Fears (85), Toto, Simple Minds (85-86), Split Enz were winding up, so I remember hearing "I Walk Away" & "Years Go By" on the Radio when they were on the Hit Parade around '84-85 which were songs from their last album, it was more or less the same with Cold Chisel winding down (84), after that it was Jimmy Barnes by himself.

I'd probably say I didn't mind Pet Shop Boys or Kids in the Kitchen nor Inxs, it really depends on the song I guess, I probably favoured Hoodoo Gurus or Hunters & Collectors more back then even though I could probably still listen to those to 80s bands.

KingHeadache

Banned
Reaction score
well, the funny ironic thing is I was born in 1994, I listen to stuff from the 80s NOW....
because thanks to the cds at home, I discovered how AWESOME the 80s were! I wish I could have lived it.. oh well... anyway these are the bands I listen to now, and probably would have in the 80s:

Rush
April Wine

Saga
Styx
Prism

A Flock Of Seagulls
Apart from that ................not very much

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member