What Did You Listen To In The 80's?

Tek_54

Spanish Rocker Girl
Reaction score
I was a chile in the 80's, I had to listen what my family wanted.
If I was with my mam: Nino Bravo, CCR, Aerosmith, The Band, Raphael, Miguel Ríos, Los Brincos, Los Bravos, Tina Turner....
If I was with my cousin Belino: CCR, Stones, The Doors, Zep, The Band, Dire Straits, Deep Purple, Pantera, Barón Rojo....
If I was with my cousin: Prince, Maddona, Stones, Europe, Poison, Bon Jovi, Tam Tam Go, Los Secretos, Duncan Dhu, El Último De La Fila....

ANTHEM

Reaction score
Metal ie sabbath, priest, maiden, dio, ozzy etc. Classic hard rock from the 70's ie ted nugent, aerosmith, bad company etc. And certain top 40/soft rock/"new wavish" bands ie duran duran(first album), the police, tears for rears, simple minds, the outfield etc. And don't forget Rush of course:bow:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Personally I enjoyed the 80's there was a lot of good music being made. I never fell in love with Punk rock though, I found it lacking in many fundamentals I enjoy in music.

I have 2 disco compilation CD's, and yes I play them when I'm in the mood for a little retro.

I'll say this much, the 80's were a lot more fun than the 90's and 2000's for music and maybe life itself as well.:hab:

ANTHEM

Reaction score
Personally I enjoyed the 80's there was a lot of good music being made. I never fell in love with Punk rock though, I found it lacking in many fundamentals I enjoy in music.

I have 2 disco compilation CD's, and yes I play them when I'm in the mood for a little retro.

I'll say this much, the 80's were a lot more fun than the 90's and 2000's for music and maybe life itself as well.:hab:
I agree. I tire of the post 80's generation unfairly stereotyping the 80's and causing it to have a stigma tied to it. Ignorance, pure ignorance.:wank:

This was my response with facts to imho is just another worn out 80's bashing thread which btw I refuse to post on any further because people have a stubborn mindset and arguing even while presenting the absolute facts and truth won't solve anything......

"Not sure why politics was brought up to blame any lack luster musical styles ??????? I will say this I didn't like the whole glam metal scene but that really started out in the 70's with glitter rock and I didn't like dance pop but that was just the 80's version of disco which btw was anything but conservative and had its roots in black funk music. If the 80's were really to blame for producing a lack luster "musical" genre it sure wasn't white bread conservatives because rap was anything but. And I will end it with this after grunge and alternative took over in the mid 90's like disco took over the 70's I quit complaining about glam metal. Still sitting here confused about this thread. Is 80's un fair bashing still happening in 2013, I thought that trend was over ???????

Also the term..."hair metal" always confused me because metal and hard rock period was known for the cliche of having long hair. And I didn't know glam metal/rock spewed conservative and christian lyrics ???? So girls girls girls was about what then ?????????? And silly me I didn't know tipper gore was a republican ????????

Somehow my memory of the 80's seems to contradict the stereotypes and stigma of the trendy 90's 80's bashing fad. Maybe that's because many who were doing that were too young to remember the 80's that well and didn't get out much except for the weekend trip to the mall with their parents credit cards."

Another sunny day

Reaction score
wasnt born physically yet back then but my favourite music was

The Smiths
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Cure
Jesus and Mary Chain
Joy Divison

stepcousin

stuck in the 70's
Reaction score
I agree. I tire of the post 80's generation unfairly stereotyping the 80's and causing it to have a stigma tied to it. Ignorance, pure ignorance.:wank:

This was my response with facts to imho is just another worn out 80's bashing thread which btw I refuse to post on any further because people have a stubborn mindset and arguing even while presenting the absolute facts and truth won't solve anything......

"Not sure why politics was brought up to blame any lack luster musical styles ??????? I will say this I didn't like the whole glam metal scene but that really started out in the 70's with glitter rock and I didn't like dance pop but that was just the 80's version of disco which btw was anything but conservative and had its roots in black funk music. If the 80's were really to blame for producing a lack luster "musical" genre it sure wasn't white bread conservatives because rap was anything but. And I will end it with this after grunge and alternative took over in the mid 90's like disco took over the 70's I quit complaining about glam metal. Still sitting here confused about this thread. Is 80's un fair bashing still happening in 2013, I thought that trend was over ???????

Also the term..."hair metal" always confused me because metal and hard rock period was known for the cliche of having long hair. And I didn't know glam metal/rock spewed conservative and christian lyrics ???? So girls girls girls was about what then ?????????? And silly me I didn't know tipper gore was a republican ????????

Somehow my memory of the 80's seems to contradict the stereotypes and stigma of the trendy 90's 80's bashing fad. Maybe that's because many who were doing that were too young to remember the 80's that well and didn't get out much except for the weekend trip to the mall with their parents credit cards."

:cheers2the most fun I ever had in my life was in the 80's:cheers2

Black Dahlia

A Seasoned Witch
Reaction score
It was 1981 (11 years old) when I started listening to the radio and really getting into what I heard: Journey, Foreigner, The Stones, John Cougar, The Police. But When Def Leppard released Pyromania early in 1983 I found my inner-self, and it was heavy metal. Scorpions, Ozzy, Judas Preist, and the Iron Maiden album Killers. Also, my boyfriend's brother worked in the record store, so we got to hear other NWOBHM bands that our local station would never play. My guilty pleasure was Duran Duran. Then I evolved into the Hollywood metal bands.

My last two years of high school I was pretty much stuck in the 60's with Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Neil Young... Being in the marching band got me interested into classical, which led to prog rock with Yes, ELP, and King Crimson. Guilty pleasure then was ABBA.

At the close of the 80's I was close-enough to legal drinking age and was in full metal revival mode: Guns-n-Roses, Metalica, Sabbath, Lita Ford...

I followed the trends, but I always had something odd I was into: Duran Duran, Madonna, Bryan Adams... I was crazy about the first Asia album.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Danish rock (D.A.D., Gasolin etc), international rock/hard rock (ZZ Top, AC/DC, Europe, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, Alice Cooper and Guns N' Roses to name a few) and.... erm.... Kylie Minogue.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online