Top Ten Phonies

chick draper

I've been En-eagled!
Reaction score
Big Generator said:
Are there any Prince experts here? Is there more to the squiggle than meets the eye? It looks like an artist who takes himself way too seriously - but maybe it's more playful and mischievous than that?

Watch this and witness the tip of the talent iceberg! Watch the whole thing, or just scrub to the last solos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDxzdpcUaNg

Also, see here for a little history;

http://www.leninimports.com/princebio.html

The little man is a GENIUS! Betta rekonyz! :p

Big Generator

Reaction score
That was a little aggressive in tone, NDF. I'd say I'm no more or less opinionated than you are. Also - if I wasn't interested in other people's opinions I wouldn't bother spending time on sites like this one.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Do you ask 'who' because you aren't familiar with Prince's work or that you disagree with the accolades he receives? Reading your previous posts I am inclined to think it's the latter with you. In that case answering your question is fruitless. Or am I wrong?

I've not seen once where Prince was the one to give himself undue credit for anything he's done. Heck, to get Prince in front of camera to talk about his music is a rarity in itself.

Last edited:

Big Generator

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Do you ask 'who' because you aren't familiar with Prince's work or that you disagree with the accolades he receives? Reading your previous posts I am inclined to think it's the latter with you. In that case answering your question is fruitless. Or am I wrong?

I've not seen once where Prince was the one to give himself undue credit for anything he's done. Heck, to get Prince in front of camera to talk about his music is a rarity in itself.

Yes - it is the latter. But the post that Chick Draper has just answered shows that I'm trying to force my mind open...

And I guess it's true - Prince hasn't given himself undue credit and is v. reclusive, etc. I'll read the link CD put up and see what it says about the Squiggle.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
The first time I saw Prince perform was on Solid Gold. I'll never forget it, the song he was performing was Little Red Corvette, but at the end of the song he just goes right into this blistering improvised guitar solo. It was one of the most audacious things I had seen at the time. At the end of his solo he pushed the guitar off of his hips and left it fly out into the crowd. He was so raw and cutting edge at the time. It was one of my earliest 'rock' experiences.

He's done alot of things that would be characterized as eccentric, but he was like that in the beginning. He put out alot of really good music and Purple Rain was a masterpiece of the 80's, and rated rightly as one of the great rock albums.

Last edited:

Martin Q. Blank

The Happening
Reaction score
Prince has recorded entire albums by himself! And the guy's an incredible and highly underrated guitarist. Just listen to the end of "Let's Go Crazy," for starters.

Did anyone see him on SNL recently?

Last edited:

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Martin Q. Blank said:
"Very limited as a musician"? He's recorded entire albums by himself! And the guy's an incredible and highly underrated guitarist.
He is? I didn't know he played any instruments cause I've never seen him actually do so. Guess I might want to look into him a bit more.

chick draper

I've been En-eagled!
Reaction score
Wenchie, and any other doubters, please check my previous post and the links provided, especially the first one, where you will witness The Purple One play the proverbial poop outa the guit fiddle with a big ol' heaping, helping of playful insouciance just to make it look fun! ;)

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Prince produced, arranged, and composed most of his own music. Not to mention many other artists, and he wrote many songs for others. In one of his earliest releases For You he played over 20 instruments on that album. He is proficient most in the bass, drums, and guitar, all of which he taught himself how to play.

You have to remember, he doesn't eat, sleep, and live the guitar. But he can pick it up and play it as if he had. He had alot of natural talent in playing instruments. He was just a very busy artist, writing, performing, and producing, and very successful at it.

Music Wench

Rock and Roll Grandma
Reaction score
Okay, now I'm confused...Martin, who were you talking about? BG was I believe referring to P. Diddy. Now it seems we're back on Prince. :confused:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nowiknowitsJAG

Members online

No members online now.