Top Ten Phonies

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Back to Prince. You know I just saw excerpts off a new song on his latest album. It's called 'Black Sweat' and it was pretty sexually suggestive. So much for religious conviction.

Last edited:

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
I guess that's why I don't get Christians. They love to talk about themselves too much. There's no humbleness involved. They do something, then they have to announce to everyone how that 'something' is a statement of inspiration to all the kids out there. That, in itself, neutralizes any kind of inspiration I could get from the act.

What's the more powerful statement? When I perform an act of spiritual conviction? Or when I perform this act and have a press conference about it telling you about what I hope to accomplish by this act and how I hope to make a difference in all the kiddies lives, and how I am going to make Christian music to convey my message?

The undefinable beauty of good poetry is that it makes you feel something without telling you what you are supposed to feel. That's the difference between good and bad poetry. And between pure spirituality and religion.

NDF, that's true of all the Christians you hear about...but for every Christian you hear about, there are many others who simply live their spirituality out quietly and without a lot of hoopla, like good poetry. I won't try to claim to be among them, because if I say I am, then immediately I'm not.

Peace,
The Rev

Reverend Rock

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Back to Prince. You know I just saw excerpts off a new song on his latest album. It's called 'Black Sweat' and it was pretty sexually suggestive. So much for religious conviction.

OK, I just looked up the lyric. It's certainly no less sleazy than "Get Off" or "Cream"...so I wonder why he's even bothered to delete anything from his repertoire. As far as I'm concerned, we have nothing further to talk about concerning this guy. And based on this new lyric, I take back everything I said about him becoming any more mature or sensitive. He's just being weird, like he's always been. Sorry I ever made such a big deal of it.

Last edited:

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
I won't try to claim to be among them, because if I say I am, then immediately I'm not.

And he steps expertly to the side of my strategically positioned landmine. You clever rascal! ;)

Yeah, I know that there are plenty who don't wear their spirituality on their sleeves. I guess I am just on overload from all the increased vocalization since Bush has been in office.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Perhaps Prince simply doesn't wanna do those songs anymore and so he made an excuse not to do them even if people want him to. I've heard jokes before that all of Prince's songs are about sex... dunno how true that is but I figure he must have a fair amount of sex songs...

Big Generator

Reaction score
Reverend Rock said:
I take back everything I said about him becoming any more mature or sensitive. He's just being weird, like he's always been. Sorry I ever made such a big deal of it.

Is it Prince being weird? Or is it just an example of 'short man syndrome'?

Reverend Rock

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
And he steps expertly to the side of my strategically positioned landmine. You clever rascal! ;)

Yeah, I know that there are plenty who don't wear their spirituality on their sleeves. I guess I am just on overload from all the increased vocalization since Bush has been in office.

I tried to warn ya not to re-elect him...this is what ya get...

runtfan

Reaction score
RoxorFuxor said:
I like Genesis a good amount, but I don't like Phil Collins. He vocals when he took over weren't bad, but they weren't too great. I also hate that he totally stole Peter Gabriel's style. Their songs are so, so similar. He should have went his own way. I mean, I don't like either of their solo stuff, but at least Gabriel did it first.

I don't think that there was a whole lot of difference in quality between Gabriel's vocals and Phil Collins vocals. Gabriel's voice is a little more unique - throatier and raspier - than Phil's, but not any better or worse. Phil's got a little more soul, IMO.
As for Collins stealing Gabriel's style...I don't really see much similarities at all in their music. Gabriel's style is less definable, I think, and more experimental than Phil's. Phil found his groove in R&B-influenced, horn-driven, mid-tempo pop/rock and straight ahead ballads.
I like both of them to an extent, but I don't see many similarities.

And I think they both have distinctive, but unexceptional voices.

runtfan

Reaction score
Big Generator said:
RR - the Styx songs I downloaded were from the 80s. Are the late 70s albums better?

Styx' best period was from the mid-to-late 70's (the Equinox album through the Pieces Of Eight album). After that, Dennis DeYoung ( really the only one with the Broadway/theatrical pretensions) wrested more and more control over the direction, sound, and style of the band. This eventually led to the disintegration of the band (for several years anyway), although they made boatloads of money during their most bombastic/pompous/pretentious (choose your own adjective) phase.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online