Top Ten Phonies

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
newdawnfades said:
Okay, I thought you were done, now you are going back again. What is it Rev? If I address your above point are you going to leave again? I just want to know if you are going to waste MY TIME.

Oh, and I think Prince said directly that he wasn't singing those songs because of his religious beliefs. He says, and I say it, yet I am now the one judging. This is the same thing that happened with that guitarist from Korn. They have to announce that they are turning their back on their music because of 'religious convictions'. They don't just DO IT, but they have to announce it to everyone. Anyone remember Notch's little 'announcement' on the other forum? Whose got an agenda here?
This is an interesting point....
From what I understand, "Head" left Korn and announced that he had turned to God instead and he was publicly renouncing the negativity he experienced while with Korn.
I don't think this is really phony at all....he obviously had his fill of the darkness and when a "celebrity" like Head converts like this;he obviously is trying to steer people away from the negativity he was part of, that is the reason for the publicity.
Of course, he's suffered a backlash from Korn and some of the fans , I'm sure but it's doubtful he cares about that. ;)

newdawnfades

Reaction score
I guess that's why I don't get Christians. They love to talk about themselves too much. There's no humbleness involved. They do something, then they have to announce to everyone how that 'something' is a statement of inspiration to all the kids out there. That, in itself, neutralizes any kind of inspiration I could get from the act.

What's the more powerful statement? When I perform an act of spiritual conviction? Or when I perform this act and have a press conference about it telling you about what I hope to accomplish by this act and how I hope to make a difference in all the kiddies lives, and how I am going to make Christian music to convey my message?

The undefinable beauty of good poetry is that it makes you feel something without telling you what you are supposed to feel. That's the difference between good and bad poetry. And between pure spirituality and religion.

Last edited:

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
The reason why it seems for the "grandstanding" is that Christians feel it's important and even their mission to pass on the Word of God to other people.
I see your point of the specialness of a spiritual act performed without fanfare or publicity...it can feel more special that way and there is not anything wrong with that at all.
I could go down to the blackberry bushes on a warm summer morning with a bucket and have friends over for blackberry pie and coffee and feel perfectly happy...there are infinite examples of acts and moments that are spiritually filling, all without publicity and fanfare.
I have no problem with what Head did though, even a press conference....to him, it must have been cleansing since he was in the public eye to a degree for years before.

newdawnfades

Reaction score
True spirituality shouldn't be solicited to others because it's not a commodity. It can't be quantified. Religon, well that's something totally different and not to be confused with the former.

I find these 'statements' severely lacking.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
That's your perogative, NDF...as for me, I felt entirely fine about making those statements.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online