Thumbs Up/Down

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Isn't the Thumbs Down button the Report button?

This was my chuckle of the day!

Very funny definition for the report button :heheh:

We had a "Like/Dislike" clickable in each post for a while, but no one seemed to like seeing that in their posts. After, giving it a try for a few weeks, the decision was made to remove it.

Taboo

Toward the Within
Reaction score
I remember seeing it when I joined the forums, then it disappeared... and I thought I was just imagining it was there the whole time, but it really was :bonk:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I like forums where you can thank people and it is kept as a count. AV forums have them because it is particularly pertinent. Of course it is open to abuse, but that should not stop something which is intrinsically good. I suggested it on a rock music forum, where I was told, "That is not our style." In a way they were right, because civility is not their style.

Jake T

Running With The Pack
Reaction score
Isn't the Thumbs Down button the Report button?

I thought the Report button was the "I've found a pervert" button.

The problem I have with the standard reply is that a lot of times I don't know why I like something, I just do, and I'd like the poster to know that because I think it makes them feel good that others like the same things that they do.

Also, it's not always easy to specify which post you agree with. You can use the ^^^ method and hope someone doesn't post before you do, or you can do the quote reply. But if they have attachments it seems like a waist of space and is hard to follow.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I like forums where you can thank people and it is kept as a count. AV forums have them because it is particularly pertinent. Of course it is open to abuse, but that should not stop something which is intrinsically good. I suggested it on a rock music forum, where I was told, "That is not our style." In a way they were right, because civility is not their style.

I've seen plenty of those myself over the years, the courtesy of a "Thank You" button is okay although I stand firm in my belief the point of a forum is to Talk to other people, and not having any of those "Like" or other buttons encourages people to make an effort.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think its always better to give a post in agreeing or disagreeing with a reply because it adds to discussion rather then everyone just 'liking or thumbs up' someone's reply. Thumbs down option I just am not a fan of, on every single forum I have been on that used this did get abused one way or another. Doesn't mean necessarily that would happen here, my point is that it has a bad history for people misusing it, and its like a ticking time bomb really, takes one person to misuse and then things get nuts. As for thumbs up, that is not bad in comparison but again I prefer the idea of actually getting your point across in a thoughtful post rather then some button. Just because other forums do it doesn't mean we have to, my honest opinion. :)

ILoveJimmyPage

Reaction score
I find it funny though that the forums I've seen that have that "Thank You" button seem to also be the ones with the least traffic. Often times dead as a doorknob. In retrospect I think it was a good thing that we got rid of the "Like" system, though I did like it when we had it I can now see why it was discarded. We have had a lot of positive activity here lately and things like that can make it suffer. :grinthumb

Tray73

இڿڰۣ-ڰۣ—
Reaction score
I think its always better to give a post in agreeing or disagreeing with a reply because it adds to discussion rather then everyone just 'liking or thumbs up' someone's reply. Thumbs down option I just am not a fan of, on every single forum I have been on that used this did get abused one way or another. Doesn't mean necessarily that would happen here, my point is that it has a bad history for people misusing it, and its like a ticking time bomb really, takes one person to misuse and then things get nuts. As for thumbs up, that is not bad in comparison but again I prefer the idea of actually getting your point across in a thoughtful post rather then some button. Just because other forums do it doesn't mean we have to, my honest opinion. :)

Totally agree! I didn't use the 'like' button when it was brought in here, I really don't care for those sort of things on forums, much better to actually reply with a few words if you 'like' or agree with something. One forum I used to visit a lot had an 'exalt' and 'smite' option and that was misused by a few and caused a lot of upset and arguements, so much the administrator had to remove it.
Plus I'd be concerned about an elitist feeling running through the forum with some members being 'thumbed up' more than others, which would be bound to happen.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Totally agree! I didn't use the 'like' button when it was brought in here, I really don't care for those sort of things on forums, much better to actually reply with a few words if you 'like' or agree with something. One forum I used to visit a lot had an 'exalt' and 'smite' option and that was misused by a few and caused a lot of upset and arguements, so much the administrator had to remove it.
Plus I'd be concerned about an elitist feeling running through the forum with some members being 'thumbed up' more than others, which would be bound to happen.

Indeed, popularity contests often rear its ugly head in situations like that.