The Worst Musical Decade?

The Worst Musically Talented Decade. Choose one.

• The 1950's

Votes: 20 12.6%
  • The 1960's

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • The 1970's

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • The 1980's

Votes: 32 20.1%
  • The 1990's

Votes: 18 11.3%
  • The 2000's

Votes: 82 51.6%

• Total voters

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
The 60's was full of crappy music in various genres. There were some great bands in the 60s, but there were FAR more crappy bands and crappy songs than good ones. It's just that those good ones typically seem to outshine the junk and some of us seem to only remember those bright spots.

You could say that about any decade, certainly including the 70's.

Reaction score
I'm still really hoping that over time, the 00s will prove to have been a far greater decade than we all are aware of. I mean, at this current moment, we've all had 10, 20, 30 years to dissect each of these other decades. None of us have had that much time to explore the 00s.

I don't like any of the things that were in vogue in the 00s, but hopefully there were things going on way down below, things that will only become widely understood once great bands in the 2010s and 2020s come out and tell us where to look!

Look at everyone's response to the 50s though.. we've had 50 years to dissect that.. Understandably, most of us choice genre is based around rock music, and that was the very beginning, before that genre really had any time to be explored or expanded... You sure could be right.. No way to prove you wrong at this point.. My theory of this past decade flat out sucking(for the most part) is what I'm sticking to though:D

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
You could say that about any decade, certainly including the 70's.
Yes you could and I've been known to say it about every decade from the 50's to present.

generally speaking, I appreciate the work in the 50's on the whole more than a lot of stuff in the 60's. There was so much cookie-cutter crap that came out in the 60's... it just bothers me sometimes. I guess I just appreciate the roots of rock and roll more from the 50's, even though I listen to far more songs from the 60's... if that makes sense.

I guess it's similar to how I liken the Beatles to be the most important band in the history of rock, even though I wouldn't put them in my top25 favorite bands of all time. To me, "importance" and "appreciation" hold a different set of rules and standards than "favorites" do.

Another Beatles-ish example. I put Abbey Road as a Top 5 album of all time, regardless of genre, yet at the same time, I doubt one single song off of that album would be in my personal Top 100 favorite songs of all time. *shrug*. But overall, the album is a masterpiece.

BeatlesFan

Reaction score
I voted for the 2000s. The mainstream music was mostly mediocre. You had to check out the indie stuff to get great music.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Yeah the 60s were pretty soft until the final quarter. The 50s was full of raw music. I wish production techniques had never advancted one iota past where they were in the 50s.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You most definitely didn't have to be there. The music of that era is great regardless whether you were there or not, the general lack of interest on this board notwithstanding. You could make a good argument that 1955-57 are the three strongest consecutive years of the entire rock and roll era.

I do have a deep appreciation for blues. I especially like the blues of Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, T-Bone Walker, and many others which were very popular in the 50's...otherwise the 50's is not the best era for rock, IMO :D

Reaction score
Everyone? Only 20% of the vote has gone to the 50's, just slightly more than the law of averages would dictate.

How many in this thread have said that it was their favorite decade of tunes?.. I was going by responses and "everyone" in my post refers to those in this thread that do not find the 50s to be their favorite decade:D

troggy

aka Billy Bubba
Reaction score
I do have a deep appreciation for blues. I especially like the blues of Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker, B.B. King, T-Bone Walker, and many others which were very popular in the 50's...otherwise the 50's is not the best era for rock, IMO :D

That is fair and I don't really expect many folks here to share my view. When you talk about someone like B.B. King, do you like his 50's material or more his more recent stuff? Like rock and roll, there's a pretty big difference how blues sounded in the 1950's compared to more modern blues.

How many in this thread have said that it was their favorite decade of tunes?.. I was going by responses and "everyone" in my post refers to those in this thread that do not find the 50s to be their favorite decade:D

Probably not many but that's hard to know, since it wasn't the question. It's sort of different though with the 50's, since it was before the time of most of the posters here. That's not the same as having lived through the decade.

I wish production techniques had never advancted one iota past where they were in the 50s.

Glad to see that someone has a true appreciation for 50's era production.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Troggy, I am very deep rooted in the blues and the south. I love the old delta blues and the more polished Chicago blues, but they were all pretty raw in the 50's and that to me IS the blues.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notmrdurden

Members online