The Who (Official Thread)

Khor1255

Reaction score
Daltrey is always a candid and genuinely cool guy. I remember that History channel show he was the host of. What ever happened to that?

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Daltrey is always a candid and genuinely cool guy. I remember that History channel show he was the host of. What ever happened to that?

Yeah I forgot about that......I don't know :grinthumb

The Who Reveal Plans for 2015 Farewell Tour

who-Larry-Busacca.jpg

Last week, Pete Townshend said that the Who would embark on one final tour in 2015. And apparently he means it this time. Sort of. Roger Daltrey recently clarified those plans, but confirmed that the group would indeed be performing its last batch of big shows in the near future.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Daltrey said that the Who will be hitting the road in 2015 — for “the last big tour,” as he put it. But he pointed out that the group will most likely still record and play occasional shows until they’re dead.

“We aren’t finishing after that,” he said. “We intend to go on doing music until we drop, but we have to be realistic about our age. The touring is incredibly grinding on the body, and we have to draw a line in the sand somewhere. This will be the last old-fashioned, big tour.”

And even though Townshend’s comments seemed to reflect that the tour will coincide with the Who’s 50th anniversary, Daltrey once again stepped in with some clarification. ”Our anniversary is actually right now,” he said. “We were the Who 50 years ago this month. To us, 2015 is just another year.”

While details haven’t been settled on yet, Daltrey said the tour — unlike the band’s most recent, which featured the playing of the 1973 classic ‘Quadrophenia’ in its entirety — will focus on the Who’s entire career, drawing from the large catalog of songs that fans want to hear. “Most people that want to come to a show want to hear what they grew up with,” he said. “Let’s not kid ourselves. We will always sell more tickets if we play the hits. That’s a fact.”

In the meantime, Daltrey said that he and Townshend may make a new record, but they would play those songs in a different setting, not as part of the 2015 tour. So yeah, maybe this isn’t the very last tour, after all. We’ve heard this before from the Who. And even Daltrey offered a possible stage scenario for the band after the, um, farewell tour.

“Maybe that means sitting down in a theater for a couple of weeks,” he told Rollng Stone. “That means you travel to once place, but you’re stationed there. You aren’t touring. It’s the touring, the schlepping, that kills you. The music is a joy. The two hours onstage every night is a joy, even though it’s incredibly strenuous. The schlepping and changing hotels every day, that can become incredibly hard work.”

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I recently saw an Eagle Rock documentary about the making of Tommy, probably shown to tie in with another reissue of Tommy (in addition to the deluxe edition). I really love the album and the interviews with the band and friends were fascinating. Despite having heard hours of Pete Townshend interviews, I will never understand what he is talking about or what his albums mean. Tommy does seem to be a metaphor for his own childhood and upbringing, as was Quadrophenia.

Pete Townshend was his usual full-of-himself, particularly regarding the early singles, but credit was given to: Roger Daltrey for adding attack to Pinball Wizard, as the demo was 'too sweet'; Kit Lambert for the production, ideas and concept; Damon Lyon-Shaw for good engineering; and the album cover artist, Michael McInnerney, also contributed ideas to the musical form.

Most interesting of all was Roger Daltrey saying he could never understand Kit Lambert multi-tracking his (Daltrey's) voice as he had a 'fat voice' anyway. Nevertheless he felt it gave the songs an eery quality. Supervised by Pete Townshend, the SACD editions removed much of the double-tracking. I feel thankful now that I bought a copy of Tommy, just before these later editions. Another curious point from Daltrey, was that he liked Amazing Journey because it summed up the journey of the band from hit singles and conceptual tracks to fully realised rock-opera. Amazing Journey/Sparks are tracks they continued to play live up to the Endless Wire shows, and I have always liked them a lot.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I recently saw an Eagle Rock documentary about the making of Tommy, probably shown to tie in with another reissue of Tommy (in addition to the deluxe edition). I really love the album and the interviews with the band and friends were fascinating. Despite having heard hours of Pete Townshend interviews, I will never understand what he is talking about or what his albums mean. Tommy does seem to be a metaphor for his own childhood and upbringing, as was Quadrophenia.

Pete Townshend was his usual full-of-himself, particularly regarding the early singles, but credit was given to: Roger Daltrey for adding attack to Pinball Wizard, as the demo was 'too sweet'; Kit Lambert for the production, ideas and concept; Damon Lyon-Shaw for good engineering; and the album cover artist, Michael McInnerney, also contributed ideas to the musical form.

Most interesting of all was Roger Daltrey saying he could never understand Kit Lambert multi-tracking his (Daltrey's) voice as he had a 'fat voice' anyway. Nevertheless he felt it gave the songs an eery quality. Supervised by Pete Townshend, the SACD editions removed much of the double-tracking. I feel thankful now that I bought a copy of Tommy, just before these later editions. Another curious point from Daltrey, was that he liked Amazing Journey because it summed up the journey of the band from hit singles and conceptual tracks to fully realised rock-opera. Amazing Journey/Sparks are tracks they continued to play live up to the Endless Wire shows, and I have always liked them a lot.

This wasn't on the DVD release of Tommy live was it?? If so I may have it....I don't watch all the bonus features on disc more than once unless in the mood. But I'm trying to think if I have this.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
It's new:

Sensation - The Story of Tommy + Launch of Tommy Superdeluxe Edition - The Who

The Hoffman site discuss it here:

The Who:The making of Tommy,BBC4 Documentary | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

I have found the Hoffman site good for information on various Who mixes. In this discussion it emerges that the programme is an Eagle Rock/ BBC 4 co-production (which makes sense as I watched it on BBC). One person posted the YouTube link, so, never slow to lift things, here it is:

If you've got any Who extras gathering dust, MP, watch them! There is an older making of Quadrophenia too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
I could not find links to the making of Quadrophenia, because of copyright, so Tommy may not be on YT for too much longer. Watch it as soon as you can, if you can.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tayson ray

Members online