1969 - Tommy
1971 - Who's Next
1973 - Quadrophenia
1975 - The Who by Numbers
1978 - Who Are You
1981 - Face Dances
1982 - It's Hard
2006 - Endless Wire

Let's talk about one of the most important bands from the British Invasion, namely The Who. Comprised of four completely different personalities they formed in 1964 and became one of the greatest live acts in rock and roll history. When I think of the importance of this band, I have them right up there with the Beatles and Stones, which I consider the most influential bands of that explosive era of music. I am not a big fan of the early Who though, I bought "The Kids Are Alright" on vinyl when it came out and was totally disappointed. A few good songs but I just didn't get what all the "experts" were raving on about it being a phenomenal record and any self respecting rock music buff should add it to the collection. It is one I have not replaced on CD and I don't think I ever will.

The first album I picked up was "Who Are You", and I took a while to warm up to that record. But eventually I started filling in the gaps, and added "Who's Next" which remains my favorite album. Since then I have picked up all the CD's I feel that are essential in my library at least. They are still touring now as anyone who watched the halftime show at this years Super Bowl knows Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend being the only two original members left, John Entwhistle having died of a drug overdose a few years ago, and Keith Moon's tragic death decades ago as well.

My Albums:

1969 - Tommy
1970 - Live At Leeds
1971 - Who's Next
1973 - Quadrophenia
1975 - The Who By Numbers
1978 - Who Are You?
1982 - It's Hard

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: The New Official Who Thread

"Who Are You" A classic track.

What a band LG they raised the bar in their day. :bow::bow::bow:

Last edited by a moderator:

rtbuck

Reaction score

My first album also was "Who Are You" which I bought for the title track because they said the F Word on it! Actually I did have "Squeeze Box" on 45 in the mid 70's but back then it was only because it was on AM Radio so the Who were no different then the Bay City Rollers or Marilyn McCoo & Billy Davis Jr. in my eyes. Anyway, I felt the same way about the album & other than "Trick of the Light" & the title track the rest of the album didn't do much for me. My Brother in Law who was 8 years older than me was looking through my records one day & saw 'Who Are You' in my collection. He told me that they were really wild "back in the day". I just couldn't picture that at all. Wild what did he mean... I was at K-Mart shortly after & seen 'Odds & Sods' for $1.99 so I grabbed it because they looked "Wild" on the cover. Once again, I just couldn't see it!!! "Long Live Rock" was kind of a cool song but that was about it for me at that time. I was over at my sister's house one day & even though my brother in law was kind of a wimpy whiney person he liked a lot of great music. He introduced me to BTO, Uriah Heep,Humble Pie, & Steppenwolf to name a few & on this day he pulled out the Who 'Live at Leeds' & I loved it especially "Summertime Blues" & "Young Man Blues". Now I was begining to understand them & I picked up Leeds & Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy after hearing My Generation. Around that time the movie 'The Kids are Alright' was playing so me & a friend went to see it. Wow!! Was I blown away, especially with "Won't Get Fooled Again"(which I'm listening to right now!). Keith Moon had just died prior to the release of the movie but I didn't realize what a friggin' character he was until seeing the movie. He was hilarious. I also really liked Baba O'Reilly & "A Quick One...". I thought Towshend was awesome to watch. The movie house was right next to a mall so we went right to Cavages Records & both of us bought the soundtrack & I wore that two record set out. I know you didn't care for that album LG but I really loved it(probably because I had just seen the movie & always had visions of the movie in my head while listening to it). I seen them right after the Cincinatti tragedy in 1979 & that show has always been near the top of the list. I liked Face Dances & It's Hard as soon as they came out & also around that time they released a double live album titled 'Who's Last' from Toronto 1982. That is a great album & I love the wild way they do "Long Live Rock" on that album. If you haven't heard that version check it out!!! I've come to the conclusion that I can't really pick a favorite album because there are too many great ones. Quadrohenia & Tommy are up there & Who's Next is a classic. I do like the early stuff as well such as My Generation & A Quick One & I really enjoy Who Are You. I do like Endless Wire a lot. Also...I like the solo releases of Daltrey & Towshend (I really loved Daltrey's song "Free Me") but I prefer the solo albums of Entwhistle. I always wondered what ever happened with Kenny Jones & the Who

Reaction score

I'm not a big fan, but I do like Tommy, Live At Leads, actually a later one--Face Dances, and the occasional single... like Squeeze Box and one or two others....

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Awesome OP :clap:

I am a big Who fan. For those of you who remember the tragedy in Cincinnati in 1979, well I know about this first hand. I was there. It was the most horrific event I have ever been to.

rtbuck

Reaction score

Awesome OP :clap:

I am a big Who fan. For those of you who remember the tragedy in Cincinnati in 1979, well I know about this first hand. I was there. It was the most horrific event I have ever been to.

Man, Magic I can't even imagine what that was like... The first concert I went to was Kiss in 1978 & that was a general admission show. I was 15 or 16 as were the 5 other friends with me. We were up near the doors & when they opened the doors it was a mad rush & us being young & never experienced a concert we had no idea... my one friend & I were thrown up against the door & were unable to move as the crowd just kept pouring in.We grabbed each other's jacket & pushed our way through. One of our friends was near us but we lost the other 3. It was actually a bit scary so as I said I couldn't imagine what that was like

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I see some fans have showed up in here.

Sox, I was thinking of you and Tracey and the gang when I added the Flag to the Who's logo, I think it's fitting, and agreed Great Band.:D

Bucky,,,I think if I saw the movie I might have been moved as much as you were, but I can't explain why "Kids.." just never connected with me for whatever reason...:dunno:
Empty Glass by Townshend is my favorite solo album from any of them.

Magic, I for one am very glad you are safe and sound, after that horrific episode, even where I lived the shock and reverberations were felt after that tragedy.:wa:

EB...at least you like a couple of albums and assorted songs. similar to me and your hero TP...:heheh:

Who's Next I feel is the best collection of material the band wrote, such a strong set of songs. The others change in my list over time, but Tommy and Quadrophenia are always up there.

hodaddy

Reaction score

i like the early who. the who sell out is my favorite album of theirs.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

for years I thought this song was called "Teenage Wasteland" until I got the album:

Whosnext.jpg

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score

Awesome topic, they're one of my favorite bands. They have pure solid power in their music that makes you want more. Only few band have really rock and roll sound, and the Who's one of them. It's hard for me to explain what true rock and roll sound is, just listen to the Sparks from Tommy (or whole Tommy) and you'll get it. My favorite albums are Tommy, Who's Next, Quadrophenia and Who Are You. Their mod era is okay, but I prefer hard rock before Moon's death more. Long live The Who.

@Magic: Yeah, that's commonly mistaken name for Baba O'Riley, which is logic to confuse with Teenage Wasteland, since the words "Baba O'Riley" weren't mentioned anywhere in lyrics.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online