The Who (Official Thread)

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score
I have Keith Moon's solo album, it is very good, not played it for a while, love the Who tho, always rated them, seen them twice and they were superb and loud. I guess you could say they lived up to my expectations and I would not want to see them again for fear they may change that opinion (and it's too expensive).

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^ You know to this day I still have NOT really sat down and listened to Keith's album front to back for a REAL honest listen. Will need to do that one day.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
They are doing Quadrophenia and other stuff at Sheffield Arena in the summer, I'm in two minds £60 for the cheapest seats ? Would like to catch this one though!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
They are doing Quadrophenia and other stuff at Sheffield Arena in the summer, I'm in two minds £60 for the cheapest seats ? Would like to catch this one though!

I wonder if Pete will last till the summer, he's already walked of the stage on the US tour not too long ago because of his hearing/inner ear balance problems.

Personally this doesn't seem like the Who to me, not without both John and Keith.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^That's kind of how I see it as well LG but I'll just have to take what's on offer, if I go.

Sweat, it looks like everyone and their dog are touring this year again, I'll have to see who and what I can afford ?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I'm not sure I would spend $90 to see Roger and Pete even though they are legends. But if you think this is the last time you'll get to see them and they do play the whole Quadrophenia album then I understand if you have to go Sox.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^ Exactly it's a lot of money to fork out for a gig, it'll be a case of getting the priorities sorted out and then just see a little nearer the time I reckon.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
40 Years Ago: Roger Daltrey’s ‘Daltrey’ Album Released

daltrey.jpg

SOURCE LINK

The Who were approaching the end of the recording sessions for their second concept album, ‘Quadrophenia,’ when Roger Daltrey’s first solo record was released in May 1973. And fans expecting a rock-god epic from the singer were in for a surprise. Unlike Pete Townshend’s and John Entwistle’s solo albums, which sounded enough like Who records if you wanted them to, ‘Daltrey’ was all about distancing the singer from his band.

Need proof? All but two of the album’s 11 songs were co-written by Leo Sayer, who would reach No. 1 twice in the next few years with his own hits, the proto-disco ‘You Make Me Feel Like Dancing’ and the super-sappy ‘When I Need You.’ It was co-produced by former British pop teen idol Adam Faith. And its cover photo featured a doe-eyed Daltrey in a gold-framed photo that might have been taken from the set of the movie version of ‘Tommy’ that Daltrey was shooting. ‘Daltrey’ is a long way from Whoville.

From the opening ‘One Man Band,’ complete with oompah tuba farts, to the lush ballad ‘Giving It All Away’ to the semi-twangy ‘Thinking,’ which features steel guitar, ‘Daltrey’ goes out of its way to separate itself from the Who. Naturally, Daltrey’s massive voice is at the center of these songs, and it’s hard not to hear a little bit of the Who in them, but ‘Daltrey’ is the sound of a singer making an investment in his post-band future.

The whole distancing-from-the-Who thing worked out well: People pretty much stayed away from ‘Daltrey.’ The album made it to No. 45; ‘Giving It All Away,’ the lone single to chart, climbed only to No. 83. Today, on its 40th anniversary, the album doesn’t sound all that much like a misguided letdown. It’s more like a flawed stab at branching out. For the most part, Sayer’s musical touches are inspired, and the performances are tight (Jimmy Page even shows up for one song). But it’s not a big record. Or an operatic one. Or even one that rocks, in the traditional sense. It’s essentially a break from the Who.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ByronPasch

Members online

No members online now.