The Nice (Official Thread)

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
Re: The Nice!

Right now it's on backorder at CD Universe so I opted for the BBC Sessions of the Cream and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac instead. Those two discs should be sufficiently mind expanding for me without any other herbal/chemical supplements.

:rock:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

...Hep did you Finally get a CD player??

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

I've had The Marantz CC4001 CD-player pictured below for two years now. Including the three on the way, my CD collection has now grown to 177 albums. Included are quite a few discs not available on vinyl such as various sixties compilations and indie releases from the last twenty years.

What I've been trying to decide is whether I should get an SACD player. Two factors have held me back:

1. The limited availability of SACDs. The only SACDs that really tempted me were the Stones' Decca catalogue from the sixties - until I found out that the earlier releases were still straight mono! I mean what's the point? The "stereo" LPs from the sixties that don't sound perceptibly different from mono piss me off enough already. I most assuredly would not have reacted well to the discovery that my expensive Stones' SACDs were just mono.

2. I'm not sure SACDs played in stereo mode are going to sound that much better than the CDs that are being issued these days.

:dunno:

Attachments

• Marantz.jpg
    Marantz.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That is a nice player Hep but I don't think I will ever get a SACD player, the format has been abandoned for one thing so you are scrounging for media, and the new formats on DVD are slowly but surely going to make mutli-surround sound DVD's the wave of the future.

It's more dependent on your Speakers than any noticeable difference between SACD or CD, I would spend the money on CD's or albums Hep, my DVD players can play SACD's but seeing the new HD Dolby DTS are the latest greatest formats I usually buy plain old CD's for now, they are good enough for me.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Right now it's on backorder at CD Universe so I opted for the BBC Sessions of the Cream and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac instead. Those two discs should be sufficiently mind expanding for me without any other herbal/chemical supplements.

:rock:

:grinthumb I have got those two cd's Hepcat and you are right they are excellent. I am a big fan of the BBC recordings.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

One negative though is that the Yardbirds one I have seems to be strictly mono:

51D1XMPW3QL._SS400_.jpg

Are the others all in mono as well?

:huh:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Picked up Elegy last night Sox...after reading your post.:tup:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

Hepcat, I don't have that one...should I give it a miss ? The ones I have are not in mono...as far as I'm aware.

LG I have to either whip Elegy on when Tray is awol or get the headphones out. Top album IMO though. :)

Last edited:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

I'd still get it. The Yardbirds absolutely nail all their hits on the album so you know they can play - but in mono!

:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.