The Nice (Official Thread)

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score
The Nice were the band with which Keith Emerson achieved widespread fame for his keyboard playing. The Nice was actually formed in May 1967 by then Rolling Stones' manager Andrew Loog Oldham to back soul singer (and former Ikette with Ike & Tina Turner) P. P. Arnold on her tour of the United Kingdom!

Lee Jackson - Vocals, Bass
David O'List - Guitar
Keith Emerson - Keyboards
Brian Davison - Drums

The Nice quickly evolved from its R&B beginnings into an experimental psychedelic band. Personal issues prompted Davy O'List to leave the band during recording sessions for the second album and the Nice continued on as a threesome.

The Nice released three strikingly innovative albums on Andrew Loog Oldham's Immediate Records label:

412EC938RQL._SS500_.jpg
51bHlKAXpsL._SS400_.jpg
TheNiceMotherMakesIt-3a.jpg

The above three albums are the essential Nice albums in my opinion. Here's an excellent biography of the band from the Barnes & Noble website:

Nice Biography

I saw the Nice perform at the age of seventeen at Centennial Hall in London, Ontario. At that impressionable young age, I was left awestruck by the band's performance. The concert had everything from cutting edge psychedelic rock, to an amoeba light show behind the band of the kind that were in vogue at the time (see the cover of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly), to awe inspiring antics by Keith Emerson. Hey, playing the organ behind your back, getting up inside a piano to manipulate the strings directly, stabbing your keyboard with a knife, all these things I interpreted to be signs of genius or at least of a musician completely dedicated to his craft! I mean how could they be anything else? And best of all, it had cost me absolutely nothing to get into the concert! You see I was actually attending the wedding in the reception hall below the concert hall and just snuck out of the reception and went upstairs to see the concert. :D

I went out and bought two of the albums of the Nice that week and have been a fan of Keith Emerson ever since.

:sgreet:

Last edited:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: The Nice!

I like Keith Emmerson, he is probably my favorite keyboardist, but have never listened to Nice before. I love the organ/keyboard in the songs posted. The music is a bit jazzy for my tastes, but I will definitely do a bit more digging into their music.........I am a progressive rock fan, yanno :D I t will start with the three albums you posted ...and I think I may get the 2003 release...the Live at Glasgow "Vivacitas"

I will let you know more when I am done checking them out !!

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I saw The Nice reunion about 2003 at Liecester De Monfort Hall. It was a masterclass and when they thumped into Rondo 69 I was on the edge of my seat. Keith Emerson has got to be one of the greats a true showman.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

I saw The Nice reunion about 2003 at Liecester De Monfort Hall. It was a masterclass and when they thumped into Rondo 69 I was on the edge of my seat. Keith Emerson has got to be one of the greats a true showman.

:grinthumb

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Would that be the first CD release of 1990 which contained six bonus tracks - or the digitally remastered release of 2009 which only contains two bonus tracks? Is the fidelity of the 2009 remastered version noticeably better?

Original LP Release April 1971

SIDE ONE

"Hang on to a Dream" (Live) (Tim Hardin) – 12:43
"My Back Pages" (Bob Dylan) – 9:12

SIDE TWO

"Third Movement, Pathetique" (Tchaikovsky arranged by the Nice) – 7.05
"America" (Live) (Bernstein/Sondheim/Nice) – 10:27

1990 CD

"Hang on to a Dream" (Live) (Tim Hardin) – 12:42
"My Back Pages" (Bob Dylan) – 9:10
"Third Movement, Pathetique" (Tchaikovsky arranged by the Nice) – 7:05
"America" (Live) (Bernstein/Sondheim/Nice) – 10:17
"Diamond-Hard Blue Apples of the Moon" (Emerson, Jackson) – 2:46
"Dawn" (Davison, Emerson, Jackson) – 5:05
"Tantalising Maggie" (O'List, Jackson) – 4:19
"Cry of Eugene" (O'List, Emerson, Jackson) – 4:30
"Daddy Where Did I Come From?" (Emerson, Jackson) – 2:46
"Azrial" (Emerson, Jackson) – 3:46

2009 Remastered CD

"Hang on to a Dream" (Live) (Tim Hardin) – 12:41
"My Back Pages" (Bob Dylan) – 9:12
"Third Movement, Pathetique" (Tchaikovsky arranged by the Nice) – 7:07
"America" (Live) (Bernstein/Sondheim/Nice) – 10:22
"Country Pie" (BBC Radio 1 "Sounds of the Seventies") (Bob Dylan) - 4:57
"Third Movement, Pathetique" (BBC Radio 1 "Sounds of the Seventies") (Tchaikovsky arranged by the Nice) - 6:59

:huh:

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

I'm a big fan of the BBC Sessions albums. They're live for broadcast recordings but in a sound studio! These sessions therefore combine the fidelity possible in a studio but without the trickery/overdubs of studio albums.

This one is a must for hardcore Nice fans:

517VnrRWy-L._SS400_.jpg

1. Flower King of Flies
2. Sombrero Sam
3. Rondo
4. Get to You
5. Diamond Hard Blue Apples of the Moon
6. Brandenburger
7. Little Arabella (And Sorcery)
8. America: Second Amendment
9. Lumpy Gravy
10. Aries
11. Ars Longa Vita Brevis
12. Little Arabella
13. Happy Freuds
14. Brandenburger
15. Intermezzo from the Korelia Suite
16. I'm Not One of Those People
17. Azrael Revisited
18. Blues for the Prairies
19. Diary of an Empty Day (And Top Gear Signature)

:****:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I have the 1990 "Elegy" cd Hepcat, great stuff, I am definitely gonna have a slice of them BBC sessions.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I'm with Sox that looks like a good one Hep...I'm all about the best Quality recording a band can offer whether dubbed or not is not a big issue, but some live sessions have a certain ineffable quality that others are lacking.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online