The Nice (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Nice!

Not for me Hep,,,I'll play the Two Nice albums I have now...can't find the BBC sessions one yet though...:hm:

I'll keep looking eventually it will turn up.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Here's Keith in concert in 1971 engaging in various theatrics including stabbing his Hammond L-100 organ with a knife!

Needless to say I interpreted Keith's organ abuse as a sign of his unremitting devotion to his craft when as a young fellow I saw the Nice in concert in 1971.

:D

Keith and his Hammond L-100 evidently had quite the love-hate relationship:

Wikipedia said:
Although the Hammond L-100 with its shorter manuals is considered a "poor man's" Hammond, Emerson not only played much of the early Nice music on his L-100, but also made good use of some of its unique features which his bigger Hammond C-3 does not provide. The L-100 has a self-starting motor, which - if turned off and on in short intervals - renders the whole organ into a wailing howl while the note generator, which is tied to a synchronous motor, tries to recover to pitch. The L-100 also features a spring-loaded reverb tank, which produces bomb-like noises if shaken. Both effects can be heard in abundance on "Rondo 69". On "Ars Longa Vita Brevis" Emerson even uses the reverb tank as a musical instrument, tapping the internal spring against the tank bottom in an effort to create a chromatic scale of "boings".

Attachments

• A Ener.jpg
    A Ener.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 44

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

I've got their second and third album which I like. Not sure I've heard the first one except a song or two. DIdn't realize they have new releases of that material might have to check it out.

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

The Five Bridges Suite a combination of classical and jazz, good with a glass or two of red...:cheers2

joe

Reaction score

Ars Longa Vita Brevis is one of the foundations of prog IMO, especially symphonic prog. Very innovative for 1968 though does sound out dated now with bad production. Lee Jackson's vocals are...well...not very good. Side 1 of this album is somewhat...stupidity, except one song. It is side two, the symphonic six part suite that makes this album.

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score

I've just heard alternate stereo version of America and it is horrible. x.x

joe

Reaction score

^^^Some of the rare recordings, alternate versions and outtakes are...bad. Davy O'List and Lee Jackson for the most part can't keep up with Emerson on many different levels IMO. Palmer and Lake could.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online