The Most Unique Guitarist Ever?

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
There are some guitarist who are very talented, there are some guitarists who we play favorites toward, but who do you think is the most unique guitarist ever and why?

For me personally I have to go with Brian May of Queen.

Queen_Brian-May.jpg

With his trusty Red Special in hand Mr. May has earned his reputation as one of the most original guitarists in history. From the irreplicable (yes, that's a word now) tone of the Red Special (crafted from a fireplace mantel) to the numerous styles and techniques he has employed over the years, many of which were so unusual sounding most people believed Queen was heavily abusing synthesizers which lead them to take a very vocal "No synth" moto throughout the 70's.

Also he gets extra credit for being such a babe in his younger days:

mmmay.jpg

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
i gotta give it to both Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth

Thurston%20Moore_Lee%20Ranaldo.jpg

they did so many interesting things with their tunings. they just kick ass and were so ahead of their time and like nothing i've ever heard before

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
325169142_58ccf22a82.jpg

Fred Frith is the most unique guitarist in my book. In the picture above he is playing with a coin and a drum stick. He also used an ashtray, a bottle and an assortment of other stuff. From his days with Henry Cow to his various side projects and solo stuff he has defined Avant-Garde.

Tiny Tim

Reaction score
I'm going with The Edge. He gets underated because he dosen't solo, but I don't know anybody else who plays like him.

13981736-13981738-large.jpg

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Most unique... hmm, so many have been groundbreaking and then copied.

I think that what Buckethead did with the song Jordan could be considered extremely unique. Maybe others did that on/off switch (can't remember what it's called now) before him, but he was the first I ever heard do it. Very very cool stuff. I'm not a huge fan of his, but that song is just awesome!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
So many possible candidates.

I will give Tom Morello the nod for the newest phenom, I was amazed at the variety of styles/sounds he can get out of his guitar.

Gotta shout out to Greg for getting me to listen to him.(Not in RATM though, I don't like Zack at all.)

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I will give Tom Morello the nod for the newest phenom, I was amazed at the variety of styles/sounds he can get out of his guitar.

Yes, Tom Morello is easily a top contender. :grinthumb

I think that what Buckethead did with the song Jordan could be considered extremely unique. Maybe others did that on/off switch (can't remember what it's called now) before him, but he was the first I ever heard do it. Very very cool stuff. I'm not a huge fan of his, but that song is just awesome!

You're thinking of the Killswitch.

xanadude

Reaction score
My choice is Jeff Beck, mainly because everything he does always sounds so new...

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online