The Most Unique Guitarist Ever?

taha

Reaction score
No question in my mind, Chris Degarmo of Ryche, their first 4 LP's were unique because of his style of play. I will never forget the first times I heard Mind Crime and Ryche's first. Nothing I had heard matched anything in my collection or anybody elses. fast pure and harmonic is putting him mildly

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The first person to pop into my head would be Micheal Hedges. He used some of the most unique guitar tunings of any guitarist ever, and could literally make you think you were hearing more than one instrument coming from his guitar. He used alot of different tweaks that no other guitarist has ever used before him, not to also add that he was a master shredder and tapper.

Another unique guitarist and unique individual would have to be Buckethead. He is probably one of the best experimental guitarists out there, atleast in the top 3. He can literally recreate all the sounds of a rollercoaster ride and other various park rides from his guitar. He has some pretty awesome bi-dextral techniques. Awesome bass player too.

Another unique guitarist is Jón Þór Birgisson of Sigur Ros. Using a cello bow with an electric guitar to create extremely high-feedback, and put that feedback into very soothing melodies.

I also find Tom Morello to be very unique and widely adaptable. He also has perfected some techniques, one being a scratch technique, that would be considered experimental and make them work in his playing.

CLASIKROKR

Reaction score
You said unique,right?

Jeff Healey, blind and plays like a madman!

Eric Gales, playing upsidedown, and backwards.

Buckethead, nuff said!!

George Thorogood's "unique" style

Last edited:

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
Yeah, Charlie Christian for sure...

And Django Reinhardt - lost 2-3 fingers(!?) on his left hand but still helped develop guitar playing:

wgreinhardt.jpg

Robert Johnson - his playing was so unique that it influenced all but a century's worth of guitarists...

robert_johnson.jpg

Ritchie Blackmore... personality wise I'm sure Ian Gillan would testify that he's VERY unique :lmao: but he's also the perfect blend of old and new styles and techniques. And he slays both Page and Iommi in my book

Classic Halfin shot:

the-who-lith52.jpg

But the most unique ever.... it's gotta be Jimi Hendrix - the original fookin' fury! :lol:

160239259_37ba5f1d13.jpg

flipflop

Prisoner of rock'n'roll
Reaction score
... and let me just add one of the most unique acoustic guitarists ever - Bert Jansch:

bert+jansch+la.png

Inspired both Neil Young and Jimmy Page... and 100s of others in the process.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online