"The King!" Elvis Presley (Official Thread)

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
The King and The Greatest...

Two icons...

1526636_10151828839062050_1308989159_n.jpg

Phil B.

Far Out Man!
Reaction score
That picture is awesome. Thanks for posting it!

I am surprised I haven't posted in this thread yet. Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis were all played in my house when I was growing up. Elvis was a performer that I had to seek out on my own. I like all of his tunes "pre-enlistment" and most of his later music. The "middle" era of his work is quite fluffy. I can't agree with a fan crazed evaluation that "every thing he did is a masterpiece", which you hear quite often down here.
I will say this, if anybody could make a bad tune sound decent, it was Elvis.

gallery_21960_16_46109_zpsfd2afa7b.jpg

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
The "middle" era of his work is quite fluffy. I can't agree with a fan crazed evaluation that "every thing he did is a masterpiece", which you hear quite often down here.

Even from my absolute favorite artists, I could/would never say anything like that. If I ever had a weak moment and did say something like that, I think it would just be an over-generalization.

Cool pic of these two legends

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
A lot of the middle period "fluff" was due to writers having to come up with tunes for his many many films obviously much faster than they were able to come up with consistently strong material.Whenever Presley and his team were truly devoted to delivering the goods,they were usually damn good at it.In the midst of all the mediocre soundtrack scores,Presley scored big artistically with 1967's "How Great thou Art" which I believe is regarded as on the best recordings of the genre ever.Early period works,particularly the Sun sessions,really kicked off rock and roll to an exasperatingly thunderous start.Particularly when you keep in mind that around that time,the Billboard charts were full of Pat Boone,Doris Day,Four Lads Four Freshman,a lot of nice but rather pedestrian bill of fare.Presley's early life influences of local black gospel church singers shine exorbitantly through the richly soulful wailings of the times.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
elvis_presley_muhammed_ali_robe.jpg

mmed_Ali___Elvis_Presley_RARE_BOTH_Signed_8x10_001.jpg

Muhammad Ali: 'Elvis was my close personal friend. He came to my Deer Lake training camp about two years before he died. He told us he didn't want nobody to bother us.

He wanted peace and quiet and I gave him a cabin in my camp and nobody even knew it. When the cameras started watching me train, he was up on the hill sleeping in the cabin. Elvis had a robe made for me. I don't admire nobody, but Elvis Presley was the sweetest, most humble and nicest man you'd want to know'.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
It's Not Unusual...

The King and the Welsh Elvis Tom Jones?

tom_jones_608.jpg

I read Presley loved Jones' "Green Green Grass Of Home" upon first hearing it that he played it non-stop on a road trip. They became fast friends because of it.

Last edited:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online