"The King!" Elvis Presley (Official Thread)

mich

Reaction score
My sister is a big fan of him
and has been to Gracelands twice with the Elvis Presley fanclub (Australia).

silverstar

Reaction score
My sister is a big fan of him
and has been to Gracelands twice with the Elvis Presley fanclub (Australia).

When your sis was standing in the queque at Graceland... did she feel like a sheep... waiting to be shorn ?

Its a whopping $50 to get in !!!!

and then you are not allowed upstairs to see Elviss bedroom
and king size TV !!!

silverstar

Reaction score
Elvis sang... Dont be Cruel....
one of his standards

But was nt he himself cruel ..... making Pricilla wait for 8 long years before
they got married !!!

Johnny-Too-Good

Reaction score
My wife and me did the whole Gracelands thing about 10 years ago during a tour of some of the southern States. Can't remember what the cost of entry was, but we both thought it was well worth it. There's the planes, cars, motorcycles as well as the graves of Elvis, his brother and his parents. When we were there the visitors were mostly Americans, and they were clearly having the time of their lives.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Elvis definitely lived an all out extravagant lifestyle.By the way,Johnny Too Good,did you catch a glimpse of the mini movie theater he maintained at the mansion?

Pappy

Reaction score
Just because the world needs some Elvis every now and then

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
From most of the performance films I've seen,quite the enigmatic stage presence,excepting,of course,the ones from towards the end of his life when he was slowly killing himself through sheer apathy.I just don't understand how a man who had so much going for him just gave up the way he did.Also,for many years I was grossly fed up with people make gest of his later overweight years.This period of his time on earth was NOT funny.It was sad and tragic and culminated in taking a major talent away at the far too early age of 42.My father was one of his original fans from '56 when he was 14 going on 15...............

Pappy

Reaction score
From most of the performance films I've seen,quite the enigmatic stage presence,excepting,of course,the ones from towards the end of his life when he was slowly killing himself through sheer apathy.I just don't understand how a man who had so much going for him just gave up the way he did.Also,for many years I was grossly fed up with people make gest of his later overweight years.This period of his time on earth was NOT funny.It was sad and tragic and culminated in taking a major talent away at the far too early age of 42.My father was one of his original fans from '56 when he was 14 going on 15...............

I can't stand people who group the whole 70's years as "Fat Elvis in a jumpsuit years". Like you said things didn't get bad till that last year or so. From what I understand even in those heavier years (76,77) he had the ability to lose the weight very quickly and would do so. Unfortunately that last CBS special showed him at his worst. But his voice never left.

That being said the 70's was my favorite era of Elvis. Those performance 70-74 and the occasional 75-76 were amazing. I could do without the "lets get this over with" medley of his 50's hits but other than that he rocked still.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Yeah,Elvis was indeed expected to do his original rock hits somewhere in at least most of shows,just through the 90's and still today,McCartney is expected to do "Let It Be" or "Hey Jude".What are you gonna do?Gotta appease the people with these sorts of things when you achieve success on their levels................

Pappy

Reaction score
Yeah,Elvis was indeed expected to do his original rock hits somewhere in at least most of shows,just through the 90's and still today,McCartney is expected to do "Let It Be" or "Hey Jude".What are you gonna do?Gotta appease the people with these sorts of things when you achieve success on their levels................

Yeah it's the curse of any band/artist with success. Got to play what got you to the dance. I guess if the folks in the crowd still loved it no harm done.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shannan518

Members online

No members online now.