The Flying Burrito Brothers (Official Thread)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The%2BFlying%2BBurrito%2BBrothers.jpg

Gram Parsons: lead vocal, rhythm guitar, piano, organ
Chris Hillman: harmony and lead vocals, rhythm guitar, mandolin
"Sneaky" Pete Kleinow: pedal steel guitar
Chris Ethridge: electric bass, piano

Wiki Link

The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969)
Burrito Deluxe (1970)
The Flying Burrito Bros (1971)
Flying Again (1975)
Airborne (1976)
Hearts on the Line (1981)
Sunset Sundown (1982)
Eye of a Hurricane (1994)
California Jukebox (1997)
Honky Tonkin' aka Sons of the Golden West (1999)

One of the pioneers in country rock and one of the most influential country rock albums. The Flying Burrito Brothers made a "marriage" between country music and rock music, and the marriage turned out to be not just good but DAMN GOOD. The Flying Burrito Brothers paved the way for scores of other bands, like the Eagles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gearjammer

Devout Heathen
Reaction score
Re: The Flying Burrito Brothers

Defintiely a unique sound. Heard these guys by chance on sattelite, and loved it. Also, don't miss the film "Grand Theft Parsons".

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Quite strange you should be bringing up The Flying Burrito Brothers - the band at one stage had more members from The Byrds than The Byrds themselves! :D Gram Parsons was with The Byrds for "Sweetheart of The Rodeo" album though I've read stuff saying that Gram Parsons was never really a Byrd. Still at one point they had Chris Hillman, Michael Clarke & Gene Clark! :D

Tried So Hard is one of Gene Clark's songs which The Flying Burrito Brothers Did in 1970 - Gene wrote it previously and sang it while playing for the Gosdin Brothers in 1967.

Unfortunately I cannot find "Here Today" on YouTube which is another Flying Burrito Brothers song which you can hear Gene Clark sing.

Last edited:

Reaction score

Very cool band:D

some great lapsteel playing in this band as well:grinthumb

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Like the band, love the name and their influence reverberates to this day, a sign of a truly legendary band.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

All I can say about the name is I'm glad they grabbed the name before some Fast Food Burger outlet did! :D

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score

I may be wrong but didn`t the Flying Burrito Brothers come out as probably the best band at Altamont they sort of chilled the crowd out. Just a side step but I think Clarence White should be held in the same sort of class as Gram Parsons in a musical influence way. Just an amazing musician.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Love the country rock sounds of The Flying Burrito Brothers.

The first two Burrito albums with Gram Parsons, The Gilded Palace of Sin (1969) and Burrito Deluxe (1970) are great albums. The third album simply entitled The Flying Burrito Brothers (1971) after Parsons left is a must have album also, and just as good as the first two Flying Burrito Brothers albums.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Anyone familiar with The International Submarine Band (ISB)?

Gram Parsons was involved with that group just before he made "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" with The Byrds. Like "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" the music from ISB is quite simular, FBB perhaps a little bit more rock to them, though I'm just mentioning it in case nobody has heard of them and want to check them out. I've got a couple of rare songs from ISB as well which put them in the Rock mood - those songs being "One Day Week" and "Sum Up Broke".

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online

Members online