The Flying Burrito Brothers (Official Thread)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
Re: The Flying Burrito Brothers

There was a two-LP "historical" FBB album that spanned their career, and all their personnel changes (did you all know that Rick Roberts of Firefall was a member during the band's later years?). I don't know if it's available as a CD or not, but if it is, it's worth searching out. It was called Close Up the Honky Tonks and had material from just about every incarnation of the band, including some previously unreleased stuff.

Hmm...I seem to recall writing a thread on Parsons in some distant time, on a far-away forum.... ;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I knew there was a link to Firefall, but I forgot it was Rick Roberts...I think I remember that Parsons thread too Craig...:D

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Craig in Indy wrote:

There was a two-LP "historical" FBB album that spanned their career, and all their personnel changes (did you all know that Rick Roberts of Firefall was a member during the band's later years?). I don't know if it's available as a CD or not, but if it is, it's worth searching out. It was called Close Up the Honky Tonks and had material from just about every incarnation of the band, including some previously unreleased stuff.

Interesting that cause The Byrds sang "Close up The Honky Tonks" at Fillmore February 1969! Surely it's only a coincidence! :D

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

Interesting that cause The Byrds sang "Close up The Honky Tonks" at Fillmore February 1969! Surely it's only a coincidence! :D

I doubt there was anything coincidental about it, CP/M. Or maybe you knew that and you were just being arch in your comment. If so, I applaud your sense of irony. :D

Death on Credit

Reaction score

Gram Parsons was a special one...And like so many other special ones he took it too much for granted, took too much junk, and exited too soon.

Gilded Palace of Sin is an amazing record. I haven't really listened to much of Burrito Deluxe, although the cover of 'Wild Horses' is great.

FretBuzz

Monkey Man
Reaction score

Anyone familiar with The International Submarine Band (ISB)?

Gram Parsons was involved with that group just before he made "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" with The Byrds. Like "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" the music from ISB is quite simular, FBB perhaps a little bit more rock to them, though I'm just mentioning it in case nobody has heard of them and want to check them out. I've got a couple of rare songs from ISB as well which put them in the Rock mood - those songs being "One Day Week" and "Sum Up Broke".

The International Submarine Band were great! Actually, Gram was in that band prior to the Flying Burrito Bros. He was still in theology school at Harvard when he formed that band. There are some excellent songs from the ISB on the 'Sacred Hearts & Fallen Angels: Anthology'. Those are actually some of my favorite songs by Gram.

If you're a Gram fan, I highly recommend the 'Fallen Angel' documentary on Gram.

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score

Amazing name for such a unique band. I like the sound a lot.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

The Flying Burrito Brothers is another one of those bands that has released a ton of "Best of" package deals. Of course this is because many of their albums are near impossible to find.

Tommy Walker

Reaction score

Just an observation: between this group, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, and CSN(Y), that late 60s folk/country scene seemed to be a pretty close-knit community.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Members online

No members online now.