The effect of a bands popularity/fanbase based on the vocalist

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It wouldn't really be death metal without the vocals, it is not for everyone, the vocals are an absolute necessity in that style.

CheckItOut

Reaction score
I could probably list off 50+ death metal (or similar ticky-tack 'subgenres') bands that I'd listen to on a regular basis if it wasn't for the vocals.

Not sure if that is what you were getting at or not.

I literally feel the exact same way.

I love the heavy guitar, the pounding drums, the driving bass, etc, of bands like Lamb of God or Oceano, but I can not stand the singing (more accurately called growling/screaming.) If only they'd sing normally, I'd like them. Though there are some good bands for this, like Judas Priest or Iron Maiden. But, still. Exact same feelings. :cheers2

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Today's death metal is not the same as it used to be. At the beginning the lyrical content was more important than the speed of instruments. Now it is battle of bands on how fast can you play guitar or drums. That's why I hate modern death metal.

CheckItOut

Reaction score
Today's death metal is not the same as it used to be. At the beginning the lyrical content was more important than the speed of instruments. Now it is battle of bands on how fast can you play guitar or drums. That's why I hate modern death metal.

There's lyrics in death metal? :heheh:

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I don't hear that much fast death metal these days.... I feel like that was more in the 90s, maybe? I hear a lot of slower death metal these days. Check out slam death stuff, pretty slow and pounding.

Hahaha now I'm sure most people would rather gouge their eyes out than listen to those vocalists. But death metal has always had an element of trying to be different and uncommon, not appealing to everyone... and if you ask me the vocals fit 110% with the kind of music. The most brutal and inhuman music deserves the most brutal and inhuman vocals.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
As a singer myself I have to like the singer, no ifs,ands, or buts about it. They don't have to be technically proficient, they doesn't have to be pretty, they just need to catch my ear somehow.

I'll give you a great example of a cool band that completely turned me off because of the singer:

The first time I heard this song I was like "Yeah, that is really cool sounding." and then the vocals came in and I went "Oh, that's a shame."

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
As a singer myself I have to like the singer, no ifs,ands, or buts about it. They don't have to be technically proficient, they doesn't have to be pretty, they just need to catch my ear somehow.

I'll give you a great example of a cool band that completely turned me off because of the singer:

The first time I heard this song I was like "Yeah, that is really cool sounding." and then the vocals came in and I went "Oh, that's a shame."

Considering the type of music that is Cosmic.. I'd say his vocals work with the song.. I mean he's no Dynamo but to me it sounds like he's bring out attitude in his voice that compliments the tune..

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It bugs when some people I know comment saying the death metal vocalists don't have much talent on the basis of how harsh they sing, and other general moron type statements.

Last edited:

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score
The voice is what puts me off or exhilarates. If it wasn't for LaBrie or J.Anderson I would have liked their music....maybe. The comments about bands like Lamb of God I totally agree with. Good music but the vocals are weak.

The vocals with Coheed & Cambria I think strangely fit. It is a bit unusual singing, but hey, loads of people took years to get used to Rush.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Staff online

Members online