The effect of a bands popularity/fanbase based on the vocalist

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Here's something that I tend to have trouble with when I discover new bands, or listen to older ones, the vocalist. There are some cases that the music and quality of the music is fantastic, but the vocalist can't sing worth crap. That leads me to be less interested in the band itself strictly for the way the vocalist sounds.

Do you have the same issue or come across the same issue with bands that you really want to enjoy, but just can't get past the way the vocalist sounds? In my opinion, the way a vocalist sounds when leading the band is a crucial part in enjoying said band. I guess there are some cases where you can just factor that part out and try not to focus on the vocalist as much as the music.

I don't know, it's just something I think about. There are a number of bands I would honestly listen to more and more if the vocalist sounded better.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
Yeah I can see where the vocalist can be a turn off for some, if someone likes the music and then the bad singing begins. :pullhair:

So far I like everything in my collection, both musically and vocally, but I know there were a few turn offs throughout my musical journey.

Let me think about it. :heheh:

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I can think only of one person in this case - Bob Dylan.

I own his greatest hits...and yes I tend to agree here.

I've picked up actual titles at the store...and been all...hmmmm...maybe....uhhh...

..and put it back down. :heheh:

I like Bob Dylan and have alot of respect for him.

As long as these guys are up front doing his music.

1055450.jpg

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
Voice is my fave "instrument," hands down. I listen to artists whose voices I like the same way a Satriani-type guitar-head might not want to listen to artists like Nirvana or punk rock bands that just plays three chords.

I can definitely say that if the singer's voice isn't to my liking, it's pretty much a deal breaker. But I'm open to different kinds of voices. Even though I prefer starker voices, I do like some singers who are more technical like Katy Perry; just like how I prefer more basic guitarists like Neil Young, but there are a couple more technical guys I like such as Dimebag Darrel.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The vocals are as key to the bands musical chemistry as the guitars, drums, and various other instruments in my opinion. Obviously you get instrumentals where the song doesn't need vocals to deliver the message but I think to truly get the enjoyment out of music I do need to be able to like the vocals, the vocals really need to suit the particular way the music is delivered too.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Yes, the vocals Are the voice and soul of the music. The instruments are important but they are the craft of the band. In other words replacing a vocalist is a lot harder because the vocal is more unique and with the instruments all you need to do is have someone practice and learn them long enough to get the parts.

To me a voice doesn't have to be technically good (aka range, high notes, etc.). The voice just has to connect with me, tell a good story within the music and project the emotion of the music. A vocal also has to have the right amount of balance with the music which is why I hate jam bands. I also hate goat/gorilla screamers in metal. They seem to be trying to prove desperately they have testosterone rather than say anything or evoke any feeling. It's like overcompensating. :heheh: I also can do without the Diva vocal runs in music. To me I'll take a simple vocal that's either pure and crystal clear like Dallas Green or has the right amount of grit like Damien Rice or just a unique one with character like Billy Corgan. :)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like bands who provide backing vocals too from the bass and the guitarist, I think when they contribute in choruses it really adds more to the music too.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
I could probably list off 50+ death metal (or similar ticky-tack 'subgenres') bands that I'd listen to on a regular basis if it wasn't for the vocals.

Not sure if that is what you were getting at or not.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
I'm with you on this Prime.. If the lead vocalist sings the least bit off.. I tend to shun the band.. Funny thing about The Red Hot Chili Peppers is that NOBODY can sing in the band worth a poop.. Anthony got the job for what ever reason that escapes me..
I like them based on the style of Rock they play..

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jik32

Members online