The CRF's Greatest Bassists Voting Thread ((Polls Are Closed))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
Re: The CRF's Greatest Bassists Voting Thread ((Polls Are Open))

One last reminder for everyone, tomorrow is the final day to get your votes in.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score

In Order.

1 James Jamerson - The Greatest Bass Player Ever. Every Bass Player named already can/do recognize him as an Influence. He played the Bass Track on Marvin Gaye's single "What's Going On?", while hung over and laying down on the studio floor. He also played on more Number One Hits than anyone else playing Bass.

2. John Entwhistle - The Greatest Rock & Roll Bass Player ever. His riff on "The Real Me" is like a kick in the stomach, but you end up smiling. Most everyone know the "My Generation" riff.

3. Dee Murray - His licks in the EJB are some of the best. "All the Young Girls Love Alice and The Ballad of Danny Bailey" are nothing short of phenomenal.

4. Herbie Flowers - The Greatest Session Bass Player ever. His Bass Solo on Harry Nillsson's "Jump Into The Fire" has to be one of the Top 3 Bass solos of All-Time.

5. Tony Levin - His work for King Crimson and Peter Gabriel should need absolutely no introduction.

6. Billy Sheehan - The only Bass Player I know of who had his mixes messed with, so as to not "show up the rest of the band". That happened on "Cliffhanger". His work with Talas and Mr. Big are also exceptional as his techniques.

7. John Deacon - He laid down some fantastic grooves with Queen. He helped solidify Queen's Rhythym section and make it one of the best in History.

8. Geddy Lee - Geddy is another one from the "School of Jamerson". No flashy moves, just an amazing sense of coordiation, working Bass Pedals, playing Keyboard and singing Lead.

9. John Paul Jones - His Composing/Arranging skills are up there. I listen to less and less Led Zeppelin these days, because I am tired of their plaguristic lawsuits. The Dazed & Confused was the last straw for me. Nowadays I listen to their Influences.

10. Paul McCartney - Some of my favorite grooves are by Sir Paul. "She's A Woman", "Helter Skelter", "Lucy" and dozens others.

I am curious as to why Roger Waters is mentioned but 1,3,4,5 and I believe 6 are not. I am without question the biggest Floyd fan on this Forum, but he could not even tune his Bass until the album Meddle. Rick Wright tuned his Bass prior to that Album. For that fact alone, he would be lucky to make in my Top 50.

When I participate in these types of discussions, I have to take note of certain criteria. I have had these discussions where i put people on the spot who "name the usual suspects". I have tripped many people up who name "Buddy Rich/Robert Johnson, etc" but cannot give a single song name.

I try to be thorough, but precise to the point.

Last edited:

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score

I am curious as to why Roger Waters is mentioned but 1,3,4,5 and I believe 6 are not. I am without question the biggest Floyd fan on this Forum, but he could not even tune his Bass until the album Meddle. Rick Wright tuned his Bass prior to that Album. For that fact alone, he would be lucky to make in my Top 50.

I've never considered Waters to be anything special as a bassist and always thought of him more as a songwriter. As for being able to even tune his bass before Meddle, I'd never heard that. Then again, I don't care for anything they did prior to Meddle (well, very very little of it). For me, that was the album they really came into their own and started playing and writing a style of music that I appreciated much more.

I do agree though, I'm not sure why he'd be on any list. *shrug* I'm sure people would say that same about a couple of people on my own list so I won't judge. ;)

Khor1255

Reaction score

Maybe nothing exceptional or virtuoso but he has a nice technique and I think that is far more important than calastetics. The riff on Let There Be More Light is really cool as are countless things he has done that add to the overall feel of Floyd songs. They wouldn't be the same band without him (as clearly evidenced by their 80s crap) and if for no other reason that elevates him maybe not necessarily as a better player but definately as a great musician.

I prefer a thousand monkeys in unison to one god of his instrument ala Billy Sheehan and I am a Talas fan from way back. I've seen them live perhaps more than any other band.

As for Waters not being able to tune his own instrument I find that extremely doubtful to say the least.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score

Maybe nothing exceptional or virtuoso but he has a nice technique and I think that is far more important than calastetics. The riff on Let There Be More Light is really cool as are countless things he has done that add to the overall feel of Floyd songs. They wouldn't be the same band without him (as clearly evidenced by their 80s crap) and if for no other reason that elevates him maybe not necessarily as a better player but definately as a great musician.

I prefer a thousand monkeys in unison to one god of his instrument ala Billy Sheehan and I am a Talas fan from way back. I've seen them live perhaps more than any other band.

As for Waters not being able to tune his own instrument I find that extremely doubtful to say the least.

It is fact and not doubtful. He could not tune his own bass. It is well documented in print and in many interviews throughout the years.

Khor1255

Reaction score

Link please. I googled it to no avail and it isn't mentioned in the book I have on them either.

Masherbrum

Riding the Steel Breeze
Reaction score

Link please. I googled it to no avail and it isn't mentioned in the book I have on them either.

No link needed. I have many books and have read 100's of interviews over the years, Rick Wright tuned his Bass.

Why? Because Roger is partially Tone-Deaf, which is also a very well-known thing. He didn't tune his own Bass until the Meddle Sessions, Rick Wright tuned it 90% of the time and Gilmour would help him as well (there is footage of Gilmour do this in Early 71). In his own words: "I finally had to take this instrument seriously and learn how to properly tune it. I have always had a hard time dealing with pitch."

I could write a two page expose on every single factor involved, but alas, I don't need too. This is well-documented.

I also recall an interview of Rick Wright:
Interviewer: "Have you ever had a fight with Roger onstage?"
Rick: "Never, the only times I got angry with Roger was when we were playing in E and he was still banging in D. He just couldn't hear the difference."

Lastly. Why do you think during the Recording of The Wall, David Gilmour played the Fretless Bass and not Roger Waters? Knowing the above, "it all makes perfect sense" (pun intended).

It is all over the Internet, it was a perfect break to commercial on the Documentary: "Which One's Pink?". I found no less than 25 proper hits on a simple Google Search. But I don't rely on the internet, as again, I am well-read on the Bands I speak of.

EDIT:

"Roger couldnt tune his bass because he was tone deaf, it had to be tuned by Rick" - Peter Jenner (from Crazy Diamond page 50). Peter was Floyd's First Manager.

If that doesn't cut it, here ya go:

PinkFloydB_32A.jpg

Last edited:

Khor1255

Reaction score

OK so no link. Nevermind.

Khor1255

Reaction score

Troll? Look dude, you are the one who said it is so well documented I would have no trouble finding it. I looked twice and found no such thing. And when I ask you for a simple link you reply with more fluff and no substance.

Troll indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online

No members online now.