The Beatles Were Quitters!!!

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
I would call them rock and roll bands. At what point did rock and roll bands become rock bands? After the Beatles (and Stones, Animals, Yardbirds, etc.) IMO. I'm just making a distinction between "Chantilly Lace" and "Come Together". Maybe to some there is no distinction.

I'd say that's fair enough. Maybe the start of the album rock era could be the difference between calling something rock and roll and simply calling it rock.

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
Eleanor Rigby is much darker and cinematic.

HELP is poppy like this :dance:

Still a good song.....just sayin'

I get what you're saying but I don't think it's really fair write something off as mere pop just because it's dance music. At its core, rock and roll IS dance music. It shouldn't have to be anything more.

With "Eleanor Rigby", the song itself sounds like pop to me. It's lush, has strings, isn't guitar based at all.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I'm one of the bigger Beatle fans/completist here...and I have to say HELP is a great song. I won't write it off, but it sure is poppier than Rigby. JMO.

:grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Truthfully, when I had the thought to start this thread I did it as a joke and wanted to give the members something to talk about. I wanted to see what direction it would go in and so far I stayed out of this because, I really havn't much to offer because I'm not into the Beatles like so many others here. But that's OK in my book.
This thread has shined some light on what some know about the break up of the Beatles.
They were radio famous when I was really young. I never in my circle of friends got into them and neither did any of my friends. It was just the occational song by them I paid attention too.

Now as far as the debate of wither the early Beatles are considered "Pop".. I'm going to have to say "Pop" if I remember right was not a classification any Rock bands had back in the 60's or 70's. It just dosn't ring a bell as far as remembering back what genre's were called.
I could be wrong, but I think there was no such thing as "pop" music back then. It was Rock and Roll, Soul, Jazz, Country, Gospel, Folk...

Chevelle

Protected Witness
Reaction score
Rock and pop are similar styles of music; however, the words “rock” and “pop” are problematic since these terms can only be seen through the lens of subjectivity. In other words, these labels mean different things to different people. There is also the matter of preference. Rock is considered noisy and primitive to some listeners. To others, rock is creative, energetic, and exciting. Similarly, some listeners view pop as wimpy, overproduced, and corporate driven. To others, pop is catchy, stylish, and fresh. Still others make no distinction between pop and rock at all; they simply use the terms

There are a lot of definitions on the net about "pop music", "rock music" and "rock and roll music". This one caught my attention.

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Rock and pop are similar styles of music; however, the words “rock” and “pop” are problematic since these terms can only be seen through the lens of subjectivity. In other words, these labels mean different things to different people. There is also the matter of preference. Rock is considered noisy and primitive to some listeners. To others, rock is creative, energetic, and exciting. Similarly, some listeners view pop as wimpy, overproduced, and corporate driven. To others, pop is catchy, stylish, and fresh. Still others make no distinction between pop and rock at all; they simply use the terms

There are a lot of definitions on the net about "pop music", "rock music" and "rock and roll music". This one caught my attention.

A good definition by today standards but I'm still wondering if the term "Pop" was even around during the 60's and 70's.. I don't think so.. Leave it to the messed up music generation to hack music apart and over analyze things.
Newer bands are guilty of this happening since they create their strain of genre and call it a sub of this type of music. Keep it simple.. It should fall under what music has called it in the beginning.

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
I'm one of the bigger Beatle fans/completist here...and I have to say HELP is a great song. I won't write it off, but it sure is poppier than Rigby. JMO.

:grinthumb

I don't think it is but I also don't think that pop means the same thing to everybody.

I think when a lot of people hear the word "pop" today, their mind goes to stuff like Britney Spears. No wonder you wouldn't want "Eleanor Rigby" lumped in with that.

I don't think of pop as dance music in that way. I think of the arrangement, types of instruments used, the vocal, etc. I think it's as much a difference in the use of the word as anything.

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score

Good post, I think you're right.

Chevelle

Protected Witness
Reaction score
The word "pop" was not used by the fans back then but it would occasionally show up in a written article. Things were happening fast and it took awhile for the music media to catch up.
But it was in the 60s that "and roll" was dropped and you had "rock" or "rock music". I'm sure that this was done to separate 60s music from 50s rock and roll.
You know how each generation wants to make things their own.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rascal_212

Members online

No members online now.