The Beatles Were Quitters!!!

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Due to the fact they were one of the biggest groups during their time and record sales and worldwide popularity for them couldn't get any better. So after 10 years of being a successful group, The Beatles called it quits!!

I just wanted to bring up that point!! :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Ten years seems to be a lifetime compared to the longevity of most bands Slip. And they only made one line-up change Ringo in Best out so that's rare as well.

In ten years they set the bar so high it's doubtful any other rock band will achieve their status, not in my lifetime anyway.

But...they were beneficiaries of being in the right place at the right time with the right sound as much as anything else that was a major reason they became a cultural phenomenon in the 60's.

I love the Beatles, but I can agree with some who feel they are a tad overrated by some fans. After all it's from Rubber Soul onward they became a real rock band, their early material is still really good but can't compare to the second half of their discography.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I honestly think that when The Beatles broke up,they didn't mean for it to be permanent,it just happened that way.

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
:D

From accounts that I read, during the last few years of them being a group from "The White Album" on they were tired of each other. So much so that each band member would record their parts for tracks and not bother to interact with the others. I believe McCartney and Starr were still all in but Harrison and Lennon were at the time more interested in exploring a life outside of the group.

Someone posted an article recently about all four considering reforming in the mid-70's but the apathy that grew was too much to overcome.

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
The Beatles knew when to quit. They had just recorded one of their best albums (Abbey Road), each one was peaking as a musician/songwriter and they were all still under 30. How many once beloved bands keep slogging it out, releasing increasingly inferior music, cruising on reputation more than anything else? From '62 to '70 The Beatles released a body of work that continues to delight and influence audiences around the world. I think Donovan said it best, "They were the best friends this world has ever had".

oscar gamble

Do The 45
Reaction score
i agree with grendel... until rubber soul they were just a pop band

Typical album rock snobbery.

Is "She Loves You" more poppy than "Michelle"? Is "I Saw Her Standing There" more poppy than "Something"? How about "Help!" or "Eleanor Rigby"? "Twist and Shout" or "The Long and Winding Road"? "Can't Buy Me Love" or "When I'm 64"? "I'm Down" or "Octopus's Garden"? ... and on and on.

The Beatles were plenty poppy later on, maybe even more so than early. Saying they were "just a pop band" early is really pretty insulting. They were a rock and roll band.

Last edited:

Hardnecker

Reaction score
Each were in blossoming relationships at the time and growing as people and musicians. There will never be a songwriting team as successful as Lennon and McCartney. Their music is a source of happiness and fond memories for myself and countless others. Simply awesome.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
I agree with 70's Guy...I don't think they meant the split to be forever...sad really....BUT they left us with a LOT of GREAT music didn't they??

:cheers2

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online