Supertramp (Official Thread)

Kink Floyd

Reaction score
Re: Supertramp

Yeah I've been recently listening to alot of Supertramp. I guess I can say I'm a fan of the band. Roger has a bit of a Geddy Lee/Jon Anderson vocal going for him, infact my brother thought I was listening to Rush when he came to the room when I had Crime of the Century cranked up.

Speaking of Crime, that is one classy album. I won't go as far to say that it's perfect, but it's close. School has one of the best Keyboard solo's in rock, and Bloody Well Right and Asylum is quite catchy. The first side is stronger, but it's a very solid album. My favorite album from them has to be in their quietest moment though, not a bad track on there. Fool's Overture, and the title track is the best of the bunch. I didn't quite like Breakfast in America though, other than Logical Song. All in all, solid band, though I would like them more if the guitarist did more solo's, the music is very much defined by the keyboards, but I can't take it on them.

They do have a dark nature to their songs, but I like them. It's like Pink Floyd for me, I have to be in the right frame of mind to play Supertramp, but I love "Even In The Quietest Moments", I play that album more than the others.

I too love Even in the Quietest Moments and think it's their best work. :cheers2

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Rudy is my personal favorite off "Crime of the Century" Kink...and it is a Belter as Sweaty would say.:D

I like keyboard driven bands, they are so rare in rock music compared to guitar driven bands, it's refreshing when a unique band like Supertramp comes along and leaves us some great music.:mn:

tomcat

CRF Ex-Con
Reaction score
On a Misty Mountain overlooking Strawberry Fields.

I never liked them, but that "long way home" song was featured in an episode of Freaks and Geeks, so now, I like the song (having seen every episode about 100 times). Every episode of that show is replete with good classic rock tunes.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I'd be very hard pressed to choose a favorite cut off of Crime. About the only one I don't care for as much as all the others is the penultimate one, "If Everyone Was Listening." All the others I love.

BTW, here's a great concise little review of the album from All Music Guide's site.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^That is a great song and a good performance too MP. They had one of the best "Sounding" concerts I have ever attended. The gear they used was the best quality bar none and you could hear everything perfectly.

Here's another Roger song, off his solo album "Eye of the Storm" a worthy addition to any fan of Supertramp's library.

Have a Dream(Production quality is not great but the song is.)

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score

I used to have that album, LG. God only knows why I don't any longer. Maybe because it was a favorite of the girl I was dating at the time. The key word being "was." ;)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

My brother bought the vinyl edition when it came out, but he doesn't have it anymore either. I have it on CD now though.:D

Donkey

Reaction score

Supertramp is one of my favourite band ever for a long time.
When I was a child I listened to Paris (live) which contains almost whole Crime Of The Century. Now when I have all albums here's my view:

Supertramp
That's a great debut album, sounds less poppy than the rest and it's among my favourites. But I understand why they changed their style, it was not as original as their later production.

Indelibly Stamped
A really bad album. Rick's songs are just bullshit. Only three Roger's songs are good (Travelled great).

Crime Of The Century
Yes, this is the masterpiece of classic Supertramp. Genius. It's a statement of art-pop. Great songs, well arranged, great cooperation between Rick and Roger. A200 made an awsome job and defined their style. It's the only album which Rick wrote really great songs for.

Crisis What Crisis?
The last good album is my personal favourite for it's beautiful mood. It consist partly of Crime Of The Century leftovers, it's more acoutic than it's predecessor. It consits of mainly Hodgson's songs. A200 excels in Lady.

Even In The Quietest Moments
A week album, sounds more like a collection than an album. Rick Davies provided only 3 songs and two of them are really bad. This album doesn't contain A200. Babaji uses Grand Piano in similar style though. Give A Little Bit is a nice but very commercional hit. It defined Roger's lyrical style (unfortunately) - a simple words about love.

Breakfast In America
Well, Logical Song, Breakfast In America, those are their biggest hits. A200 is back again, but it's not a good album. Rick's songs are boring, the album is too poppy. But it made them millions :)

Paris
It's not a complete gig!!!! I was always wondering if there were any overdubs.

Famous Last Words
The last album with Roger Hodgson, a week one with no really good songs.

The rest is forgettable. Mark Hart is definitely one of the worst singers in the world.
Roger composed Give a Little Bit 40 times again. Only a few songs are better.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

^^ Nice write ups Donkey...but I have to disagree. I thought EITQM was a great record and to this day a soothing piece of work from top to bottom. Great title track as well...one of my favorite Tramp tunes.

But I will say that it is no CWC, COTC or BIA.

:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Murphy_orrest

Members online

No members online now.