Supertramp (Official Thread)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Another unique group for me, Supertramp a Keyboard driven band which is a rare commodity especially nowadays. Basically Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies were the creative spark of the band, and they never got along, but that creative tension between Davies pragmatic/gloomy view and Hodgson's optimism created a great vibe that carries through on most their albums. The early material was the most progressive, and then they started combining more pop elements into their sound and finally achieved success with "Crime of the Century", which is the first album I bought and got me started with the band.

My collection:

Supertramp
Indelibly Stamped
Crime Of The Century
Crisis What Crisis?
Even In The Quietest Moments
Breakfast In America

The title song off my favorite album:

My favorite album.

Supertramp_-_Even_In_The_Quietes-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Supertramp

Supertramp is..........OK.

I have this album:

Supertramp_-_Breakfast_in_America.jpg

I have always like this song (from the Crime of the Century album). It has that dirty south sound I like until they use the word "bloody" and that gives the British roots away :) :

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^That is their most successful album by a country mile Magic,,,about 20 million copies worldwide, but I like Quietest, Crime, Crisis better myself. I don't know why but Breakfast in America I found too commercial, and I saw the tour the year the album came out.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I thought Crime of the Century was suppose to be one of the best selling albums, maybe I am wrong.

But IMHO, anything after Breakfast in America, isn't worth a hoot.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I thought so myself, but Breakfast almost outsold all their previous recordings combined, their Monster album commercially speaking.

I stopped at Breakfast, but I heard a few songs from a couple of later albums and felt the same as you, especially when Hodgson left the band, the energy was not the same after that.

He has a really good solo album, I ahem Found it a month ago in HQ. Reminded me of Supertramp instantly.:D

Roger_Hodgson-In_The_Eye_Of_The_Sto.jpg

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

Supertramp were unquestionably one of the super star acts to emerge from the seventies and I like them a lot.

:grinthumb

For whatever reason though, they lacked the staying power required to join the list of all-time great acts.

:confused:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Hepcat, I think they needed a couple more Heavyweight albums like Crime and Quietest to get them to that level.

Flower, love that song, a classic.:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

For whatever reason though, they lacked the staying power required to join the list of all-time great acts.

:confused:

Maybe because they crossed over, Hepcat. They changed their sound to an almost R & B style. This hurt them, IMO.

Oblivion

Reaction score

:-/ never liked them much... Don't have a clue why... So no constructive critisism here... I like a few songs, here and there... But not many.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Staff online

Members online