Sooty's Top 20 Power Ballads

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse here, but Fisha, why should it be our duty to convince you to like something? I could care less if you like a band or not, but don't ruin it for me.. I personally will give anything a try, but I'm not going to continue to listen to it if I don't like it... And after I'm done not liking it, I may go back and try again a while later, but I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade that does like it..

Just a different perspective:D

A few of my favorites as well..
Sooty had When the Children Cried, already. So on to the ones he didn't have that I love:heheh:

Sister Christian - Night Ranger

Two Steps Behind - Def Leppard

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Ah yes! I'd forgotten about Sister Christian for a moment. That's a really strong favorite in the power ballad arena. :grinthumb

Another fan favorite would have to be this gem:

Though I have to say I like Sooty's list because it has surprises to it instead of just the same predictable choices. That's why I love people's individual lists. They're more interesting than collective ones.

Also I neglected to mention this earlier but I like "I Remember" more than "18 and Life" and the latter usually fills Skid Row's bill for power ballads so I'm really happy Sooty went with the former. :grinthumb

Cinder

Reaction score
Awwwww great post Soot and Stars I enjoyed looking through your list and have to admit I havent heard of a lot of the bands you mentioned so thats been refreshing.

I totally get where youre coming from re Mr Idol (slurp slurp - whoops, sorry I forgot myself for a moment there) :D

Love Rock the Cradle of Love and I immediately thought of Eyes without a Face as thats one of my favourites also.

So Im going to start my list with Sweet Sixteen by Billy Idol ( this one totally blew me away when I heard it as I had never heard him sing so softly), now whether you'd list it as a 'Power Ballad' Im not sure. But I like it !! :D

Im also listing in no particular order as well.

Its hard to remember all the odd biggies to be honest so I think I might only manage 10 tracks - sorry!

Mr Big - Step back inside me Romeo

Alice Cooper - Poison

Poison - Every Rose has it Thorn

Guns and Roses - November Rain but I also like Paradise City

Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is

Whitesnake - Is This Love

The Scorpions - Wind of Change

Mr. Mister - Broken Wings

Cutting Crew - I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight

Heart - ALone

The Cars - Drive

The Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Roxette - Listen To Your Heart

Sinead o Connor - Nothing Compares to You

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - The Power of Love (which actually brought a tear to my eye the first time I listened to it)

Whitesnake - Here I Go Again

Billy Idol - White Wedding

The Eagles - Hotel California

Prince - Purple Rain

Simple Minds - Alive and Kicking

Simple Minds - Dont you Forget about Me

I think I made 22 :( :D Having said that there are a couple in there that Im not sure you'd call ballads but they sure bring some good memories back :D

Last edited:

Fisha

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse here, but Fisha, why should it be our duty to convince you to like something? I could care less if you like a band or not, but don't ruin it for me.. I personally will give anything a try, but I'm not going to continue to listen to it if I don't like it... And after I'm done not liking it, I may go back and try again a while later, but I'm not going to rain on anyone's parade that does like it..

Just a different perspective:D

A few of my favorites as well..
Sooty had When the Children Cried, already. So on to the ones he didn't have that I love:heheh:

Two Steps Behind - Def Leppard

It's not your duty but don't you enjoy the sense of achievement from introducing someone to something they like?

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Like I've done the whole time I've been here. Make thread upon thread of what I like, build upon that, make friends/get to know people and trade music suggestions with them. Dude, telling someone that a song is superior because it's in 4/4 time isn't going to impress them or make them interested. They are going to be interested because:

#1. They already like and know the bands you like!
#2. You show enough respect to their threads to the point where they check out yours aka mutual respect!
#3. You show enough passion about your bands without shoving it in their face to make them curious.
#4. You suggest a band, they really like it and then they go check out threads when you make them because they find you are capable of showing them good music. As Eberg said which makes a lot of sense is even if someone doesn't like something on first listen they make go back when their mood changes as long as you don't bug them too much.

Most of the work in doing threads to spread music and gather potential fans is split up like this: 50% you doing the hard work to make an epic thread and 50% the viewer going in and getting what they want out of it. The member going in is the only one who controls what they like. You have no influence! It comes down to the music! Once you've pulled them in through presentation it's the music that makes or breaks it!

Here's a scenario:

Poster: Listen to this! It's great!
Member/Listener: O.K., I'll get around to it!
Poster: So did you listen or what?
Member: Yep! Didn't get into it! Sorry!
Poster: What? Are you serious! It's way better than the hair bands you like! These guys play in 4/4 time, with a kazoo and a monkey that plays a one stringed bass! It's genius and better than the music you listen to!
Member: Ummmmm okay! Yep, it still sucks!

That's my stance on approach! Enthusiasm over forced intellectualism! In fact, when you intellectualize music in the first place you've got it all wrong. Music is something you feel plain and simple! :grinthumb

Fisha

Reaction score
Naa, music is all algorithms, there's reasons you like everything that you do. The intellecualism isn't forced, it's in built, if you know what you like then you can knwo what you'll enjoy without having to hear it.

When it comes to something like the prog rock section, I am never going to traverse there if someone says "hey there's this great prog band you should listne to" I'm probably not going to bother giving it a listen, that's why you have to define the music, what's enjoyable etc, and in a sense challenge me to like it before i will feel compelled to give it a listen.

Reaction score
:lmao:

I don't know, Sooty.. any band with a monkey playing a on string bass and a kazoo might top the rest of them...:oyea:

@Fisha - I don't get a sense of achievement, I do get a sense of satisfaction if someone does like something that I suggest.. If they don't like it.. "OK, what didn't you like about it?"

"It bored the hell out of me"

"Oh, cool, maybe I'll bump into you in another thread"

Or another situation..

"Did you like the band I suggested"

"Yeah, they were awesome, do you have any more like them?"

"Great! I'm glad you liked them.. and sure, check out thread A, B and C!"

That is how I go about my music forum-ing:D

Cinder

Reaction score
Right guys, I was listening to this today and thought WoW! I'd call this a Power Ballard, Im coming to realise that they can come in different genres now and so Id like to share this one with you.

I know it may not be everyones cup of tea, its a very different track from Bauhaus compared to their other stuff.

Take a listen and see what you think.

Crowds by Bauhaus

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
V1nnipoof

Members online