Snow Patrol (Official Thread)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
SnowPatrol%20.jpg

Snow Patrol Official Website

Albums:

Songs for Polarbears (1998)
When It's All Over We Still Have to Clear Up (2001)
Final Straw (2003)
Eyes Open (2006)
A Hundred Million Suns (2008)
Fallen Empires (2011)

I did a Nickelback humor thread in another forum and it made me think of bands that are generally reviled in mass quantities even though they are successful at the same time! I've been wanting to do a "Snow Patrol" thread for a while because I love everything in their catalog from "Final Straw" on! I've digressed because in other forums they were a band to flame but I digress no more because I love their music and they deserve a spot here IMO! They are also a band that if you don't here their c.d.s as a whole you are apt to think they are just a (insert name of soapy drama here) band that caters to out of touch housewives and older men who think that John Mayer is heavy! Snow Patrol is far deeper and creative then that!

The first single I ever heard from Snow Patrol was:

"Run"
(recently beautifully covered by Leona Lewis as well, amazing song in general)

Edit: you have to double click the video to play it.

This was on the album

"Final Straw"

7304-final-straw.jpg

The beauty in this album that while Snow Patrol has always had this dry delivery they polished these songs with such a poppy sweetness that you really get into the very somber, laid back feeling songs. I think they were too dry in prior albums but this one is a chill experience without being boring IMO!

"Spitting Games"

Edit: double click the video to play it.

and "Chocolate"

are the poppiest most hummable songs on the c.d. but my favorite is:

"Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking"
(This is a very haunting song IMO)

Last edited by a moderator:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: "The Official Snow Patrol Thread"

My favorite Snow Patrol album is their most popular!

"Eyes Open"

61KQCTBCJ5L._SS500_.jpg

was an album I bought on the day it came out and before "Chasing Cars" cemented their love/hate relationship with the music world! I can ignore that song completely and say that this album is AWESOME! If you only know "Chasing Cars" then you've missed out on these gems:

"Make This Go On Forever"
(Such an epic beautiful piece of music, I love the build, vocals, everything)

"Set the Fire to the Third Bar" ft. Martha Wainwright
(what a haunting pair these guys are together)

Edit: double click the video to play it

"Open Your Eyes"
(Great Chorus)

Edit: double click the video to play it

"The Finish Line"
(Just a great subtle finisher to the album, very relaxing and uplifting at the same time)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score

Their most recent album

"A Hundred Million Suns"

1224575088_snow-patrol-a-hundred-million-suns.jpg

is an album that takes a little more time to get into but it has it's value! The lead singer, Gary Lightbody, said this was suppose to be a more optimistic album! I'm not sure if this is the best route for the band but here are the tracks that stand out!

"Crack the Shutters"

(single)

"Take Back the City"
(single)

"The Lightning Strikes"
(Great lengthy multi-threaded song composition)

Any fans of this band or am I the only one? Anyone actually prefer the older stuff? Any constructive well researched haters? Any great songs I missed? Let me know! Peace! :tup:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I have heard this group on the radio, but don't have any of their music in my library. They are a bit melancholy for me, Bry. They aren't terrible, just not really my style. I do have Coldplay and The Fray in my library, and they are very similar to Snow Patrol, so I may pillage some of this stuff and take a better listen to the entire albums.

Oblivion

Reaction score

:) You should check them out Magic. Quite a good band.

Thanks Bry ! Great reviews

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

I love Snow Patrol and didn't know that they were trashed on other forums. I don't care. I have both Final Straw and Eyes Open and it is their gloominess that I love so much. I didn't care for their third album. Gary changed his style and it wasn't my cup of tea. Their new album "Up To Now" is a compilation and that is a disappointment.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I love Snow Patrol and didn't know that they were trashed on other forums. I don't care. I have both Final Straw and Eyes Open and it is their gloominess that I love so much. I didn't care for their third album. Gary changed his style and it wasn't my cup of tea. Their new album "Up To Now" is a compilation and that is a disappointment.

Sadly, Annie, a lot of these alternative bands get trashed, thrashed, and beat to death in other forums! The metalheads hate these groups, or so they say, but I think most of this stuff is pretty easy on the ears :) The music elitists in other forums, trash them for no real observant reason, as far as I can see, than to not be ridiculed by other elitists or metalheads :eek:hyeah:

Honestly, if truth be told, they listen to this stuff too :D

Edit: I almost forgot to tell Bry, I have obtained Eyes Open and Final Straw....my final impression to follow in a few days!

Zombeels

Reaction score

I only like their first 2 albums. Can't stand anything after that.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I will quote Sgt Schultz at this point,,," I Know Nothing, Nothing about any band by this name"...:lmao:

I have a great deal of respect for Bry's opinion so I'll give them a fair listen, when I get the chance. Thanks for another great thread Bry.:tup:

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

I only like their first 2 albums. Can't stand anything after that.

Anything? There has been only one album after that. As I said, Gary was trying to get away from the gloominess and it did not sit well with me, but "can't stand" is a little harsh.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bringzip

Members online